oily film on top of water.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tifta

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I got my order of RCS, I didn't realize how small they were gonna be. So I ended up taking my 3 female guppies and putting them into my 10 gallon tank. After doing this I started getting an oil film on the top of my tank. Maybe from no water movement? I did a small water change and that didn't seem to help at all. I was thinking maybe an airstone would end up helping? The only thing I worry about is that I have sand on the bottom, and last thing I want is for the sand to go up into my filter killing it. I do have a small sponge stuck to it. Is there another way of getting rid of this nasty film other than what I mentioned?

Getting a film on top of the water can be a common problem but there are some things you can do. I also have a little bit of a film on top of my water a lot of the time. I think it's from low water movement (I have bettas that don't like a strong filter current). Can you increase your water movement? An airstone may help without stirring up the sand. Do you have CO2 in this tank - too much water movement will drive out the CO2. I don't know how much you use fertilizers with the shrimp, but I cut down on my Seachem Comprehensive liquid fertilizer and that helped - the film wasn't so bad. When I gravel vac, after cleaning the gravel, I hold the vac just under the surface and skim the film off. With practice, you can do this without breaking the suction. Finally, you can run a white paper towel across the surface of the water and try to mop up some of the film that way.

those are some good ideas. I don't have co2 on that tank yet. I did put the co2 on the 10 gallon tank though. I might try an airstone. I can't stand seeing that stuff floating like that on the surface of the water. The film might be from the fert, because I did put some in that night, and the next morning there was oil on the top.

I use a ph to point at the surface and that clears it right up, (I have a SW tank).

Back
Top Bottom