Oily substance?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheMightyOscen

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, I have a 3.3 gal tank with a betta and two Borneo suckers. I started noticing an oily slick on the water surface and some one suggested that the water surface wasn't being moved enough. So I put in a temporary air stone and I have just bought a new filter (fluval u1). I got rid of the air stone as my betta wasn't really liking it too much and it was just taking up space, the surface of the water is moving much more now but the slick is still there. The heater and filter has been cleaned, there's no way it could be due to over feeding, the lights are on for a max of ten hours a day...but it just won't budge. I keep removing it and it keeps coming back. I do a 40% water change every 2-3 days and the tank is in my room. Could any one help? Thanks for reading :)

That's because you don't have enough surface agitation and those Chinese hillstream loaches need a bigger tank like 30g and also they need tons of water flow and prefer cooler water

The borneos aren't based in there, they have come from my 60 gallon to help clean some algae growth. And just the surface agitation? There is loads, that's what's troubling me. All the water tests have come out fine too.

The betta create a nest with this oily film. Betta don't like airstones and too much water aeration, they breath at the surface of the water.

The betta create a nest with this oily film. Betta don't like airstones and too much water aeration, they breath at the surface of the water.

+1. I would look for a surface skimmer that has very low flow or put a paper towel on the surface to remove the film

Yup the paper towel thing has to be done every other day right now. Oh also it's a heavily planted tank, the plants aren't contributing or anything (I wouldn't have thought they would be but you never know).

Maybe search for a super small water pump that you can place at the surface or a really small bubbler because that's the only way to really fix it

In the future though bettas do better in 5+ gallon tanks, also Corrine's do good with bettas and don't need a filter if you want a fish to go with your betta

Well with my past experiences and what other people have said they do well in the 2.5 gallon tanks but they do better in a 5+

He actually originally had a 7 gallon, but a bat and ball related incident resulted in a rushed, smaller tank as it was the biggest I could afford at the time. Saving up for a better tank but in the mean time I would just like to make his temporary home as comforatble as I can :). The temp tank is a Superfish Wave 15. Also I will have a look at the fish suggested, but I will probably get some friends for him when he is in the bigger tank.

And haha autocorrect struck again I meant corry catfish haha sorry I need to figure out how to turn that off

Yeah I thought that's what you meant! I considered panda corys as they are a smaller kind...I had a quick look at the pygmy corys but apparently they are more of a mid feeder than a bottom feeder.

Back
Top Bottom