Oily substance?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was reccomended a guy who breeds them through a friend, the guy also works in Maidenhead Aquatics. I went to his house and picked my lil guy up, compared to how most of the bettas in pet/aquatic shops are kept he was living in excellent conditions.

You got pretty lucky since he wasn't in one of those little plastic containers at petsmart.

I don't think we even have petsmarts in England...my favourite fish shop by far in Maidenhead Aquatics, second being the petshop I work in as I can influence the stock and their care :3.

That's pretty cool that you can do that, haha I didn't realize you were in England obviously I'm from Anerica

Hi, I have a 3.3 gal tank with a betta and two Borneo suckers. I started noticing an oily slick on the water surface and some one suggested that the water surface wasn't being moved enough. So I put in a temporary air stone and I have just bought a new filter (fluval u1). I got rid of the air stone as my betta wasn't really liking it too much and it was just taking up space, the surface of the water is moving much more now but the slick is still there. The heater and filter has been cleaned, there's no way it could be due to over feeding, the lights are on for a max of ten hours a day...but it just won't budge. I keep removing it and it keeps coming back. I do a 40% water change every 2-3 days and the tank is in my room. Could any one help? Thanks for reading :)
The oily film is most likely from the food you use, it's quite normal for this to happen. I have it on all my tanks. This is what you need, although it maybe a bit strong for a 3.3gal. You could muffle the flow with some filter sponge.....
EHEIM SKIM 350. Compact Surface Skimmer. Only 5 watts. Aquarium. 3536340 | eBay

Brilliant! I'm glad to hear that it's normal and I will deffinately invest in something like this, perhaps even that one :).
I plan on getting a few of them myself. Brian_Nano12g recommended it to me. He said they work great. If he thinks they are good, that's good enough for me....lol

OK, I have found that I also had oily residue on my sump tank. The main tank was recently containing oily residue and no matter how much surface agitation.... Still oily.. Today I decided to go a little further than just the weekly water change.. I changed the filter sock and instantly the oily surface was GONE.. I therefore can only recommend that you maintain a strict habit of cleaning your filters and whatever keeps your water clean and I am positive that your oily residue will be a thing of the past.. I have two tanks and I find that the tank I have at work, that does not get looked after as carefully as the one at home is the one that starts to have issues..

Tank - 1 - OFFICE

Aquascape - initial setup March 2014 and then rescape August 2014

CADE Tank 800 x 800 x 600 - 320 litre

Sump filtration - Long noodles, 3 Layers Filter Pads. Carbon

UVIEW sterilizer

CO2 with inline reactor

ADA fertilising

ADA soil setup

RAZOR LED lighting

Twinstar

Tank - 2 - HOME

Juwel 120 litre tank - setup Dec - 2010