Ok fine, you win!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hsherman1986

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I bought a pleco today. I never wanted one, thought they were ugly. Until I saw the rubber lips they had at petsmart. So I bought one. He was less than $5, and so cute!!

The last batch of ottos i bought all died (not my tank, they were probably ill from the store) within the first week of having them, and I don't like CAE's (they are mean!!) so my last shot is a pleco.

If I had a camera I would post pics, but I don't, so I can't lol.

Just thought I would share, I am pretty excited. He immediatly attached himself to the driftwood once released from the bag, and now he has found a good hiding spot, I can't find him anywhere lol.

Oh, and how can I tell males from females? (just wondering what I have)

grats on the pleco. I am a fan of my bristlenose :p And Gold nuggets, I feel they both look alot better than your commons :)

As for sexing...females usually have their mouths open all of the time. LOL jk

Congrats on the pickup. Looks like Bill reeled another aquarist into his pleco fold. He hasn't gotten me yet. :)

I really liked the gold nuggets, i just couldn't justify a $40 fish purchase today. Not when I am about to go to Orlando (i am in texas)

I still have yet to see him out and about, but that is normal, right? At the store, they were all under a rock in the tank, she had to take the rock out to get one for me.

yeah one time i bought 4 otos and added it to 2 i already had. all 4 died and so did one of the originals :(

yea i can only find one now. I had three a couple days ago. I really love the ottos, but they are so fragile!

I hope this guy works out better for me.

I can understand not wanting to shell out $40 for a gold nugget, but I did just that a while back, and he has become my favorite fish in the tank. He spends most of his time hanging upside down on the underside of my fake driftwood. I can see him under there if I squat down or am sitting on the floor. Whenever I put food in the tank, he comes charging out to get his share. Really, really cool fish.

rich311k said:
Congrats on the pickup. Looks like Bill reeled another aquarist into his pleco fold. He hasn't gotten me yet. :)

Ah. come on.... LOL ;)

Sound like you have a good pleco. Some hide all the time, and others will tend to come out more once they are comfortable with the surroundings. Good job on the new pleco... (y)

hsherman1986 said:
yea i can only find one now. I had three a couple days ago. I really love the ottos, but they are so fragile!

I hope this guy works out better for me.
Hmmmmm..... I bought 10 Otos, 4 for my 29G and 6 for my 75G. I still have all of them, no losses. Even after the Excel OD, the otos and rummies are the only 2 that were not affected at all, and are doing very well. Well, the BN's weren't affected either. But the Bolivians were surfacing, and so were the GBR's. 2 of the 3 roseline sharks died and 3 cories also died. But the Otos seem like the hardiest fish in both my tanks, lol.

I wish I would have been so lucky. It took ich to kill my last round of ottos, decided I wanted them again, and it just hasn't gone as well this time around. Just checked my water levels again, and they are still good. I dunno what happened to them.

Yea, haven't seen him in a couple hours, i am sure he is hiding behind the driftwood. Hopefully he will come out more once he is more comfortable.

lol. well, if i sit there long enough, and dont move, he will come out for a few moments lol. The tank is right by mt couch, and me sitting there watching tv, i have caught quite a few glimpses of him tonight. He is a cutie, defintly a keeper.

he's been busy cleaning the underside of my rock caves, and the glass when i am not looking.

When I got him, the girl was pouring the tank water and the pleco into a bag, and he stayed in the little plastic container. It took him a few moments to realize he couldn't breathe, and the girl's hand wrapping around him to get him into the bag. My cae's did that when i got them too though.

My new sailfin pleco almost never hides, he just attaches himself to the top of the driftwood or goes and lays on my air stone and looks at me. He flares his fins every time he sees me.

he is more comfortable now. He has been out and about since I got home from work (about 20 minutes ago), and didn't run away and hide when I came up to the tank. That was nice to see for me, I would be really disappointed if he hid all the time and I never saw him lol.

Just wondering how big do rubberlips get? I have a 60 gallon now with a common 6 inch pleco..going to maybe be buying a 125 soon..who knows..whatever might come along..haha any ideas on some a cool pleco..a guy at my work bought a rhino and said its cool

well, i still have him, and he is still only 2.5" long. He gets plenty to eat though, I feed him every day. I have heard they get up to 6"

Back
Top Bottom