Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-21-2006, 12:07 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Codefox Send a message via AIM to Codefox Send a message via MSN to Codefox Send a message via Yahoo to Codefox
Ok, I couldn't resist...the GBRs were too pretty...

I was going to do 2 or 3 schools of tetras in my SA theme tank but the GBRs at Petco were simply too pretty. I wavered on getting them several times since they're a bit harder to keep but the rest of the tank is looking so good and as much as I love the schooling tetras I'd rather give up one school for these guys

This is of course after I just added a pair of angels on Sunday. These will be the last fish added for a while I suspect...4 weeks or so to make sure the tank is ready for the next inhabitants

Here's pictures though!

Old 09-21-2006, 12:16 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nice find Codefox! Your GBRs and angel are beautiful, and I also like the pic of the bleeding heart. I hope you have more luck with the GBRs than I have had in the past. Your tank really is looking great!

severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 12:20 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Codefox Send a message via AIM to Codefox Send a message via MSN to Codefox Send a message via Yahoo to Codefox
The other angel wouldn't come out for the photo shoot tonight...that one is really pretty too. I hope I have some luck with them...I know GBRs are tough. I'm hoping that with my tank being heavily planted they'll have a pretty good environment to thrive in. If they don't make it...I'll be dissappointed but I know they're not easy to deal with, so I tried!
Old 09-21-2006, 12:27 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sure, the important thing is that you try. Surprisingly, I've had more luck keeping apistogramma than GBRs. If (my fingers are crossed for you) the GBRs don't work out, maybe give some apistos a try. They are just as beautiful IMO. Best of luck!
Old 09-21-2006, 12:42 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codefox
The other angel wouldn't come out for the photo shoot tonight...that one is really pretty too. I hope I have some luck with them...I know GBRs are tough. I'm hoping that with my tank being heavily planted they'll have a pretty good environment to thrive in. If they don't make it...I'll be dissappointed but I know they're not easy to deal with, so I tried!
I believe the planted tank is the key. And your tank looks great.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:56 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Agreed... but I've also tried them in a planted tank. Maybe my LFS at the time didn't have such great stock.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:00 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks for the complements...and Apistos are definately on the short list of fish. I wish I had an 150 gallon tank so I could put even more fish in Some people have MTS...I honestly wouldn't want more than 2 or 3 tanks total. But I want them all to be huge.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:16 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

LOL, I wish I could sell all my tanks (except the 10G breeders) and just get 2 265G tanks and keep the breeder tanks, lol. But the floor in the front room probably wouldn't hold, lol. The floor in the Master Bedroom wouldn't be a problem, as it's on concrete slab.

Keep us posted on how they do. Are they male or female?
Old 09-21-2006, 01:18 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah...I limited myself to 55g until I'm not living in an apartment. I just wasn't comfortable putting something heavier than 1/2 a ton on the floor Once I get a house one of these days, I'll get the absolute biggest tank I can afford. If I can swim in it...great!
Old 09-21-2006, 01:28 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just like they say, "Bigger Is Better!!!!" LOL
Old 09-21-2006, 11:42 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

believe it or not, those GBR's aren't even showing full coloration. give em a few weeks to get cozy in that tank and they'll brighten up even more, esp. as they grow a bit more.

I had issues keeping them too. Pretty sure it was my high Kh and Gh, coupled with CO2 injection and 50% water changes. Seemed like every water change resulted in a GBR dying within 3 days, but all other fish (tetra and ottos) were just peachy.

GBR are considered one of those 'sensitive' fish, the kind that do care about hardness and pH.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:13 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Codefox - your tank is GORGEOUS. I love it. All the best with the GBRs, keep us posted and keep posting photos of the little ones.

Tags
brs, gbr

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com