ok i need help ID something growing in my 40g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zilla870

Aquarium Advice FINatic
ok here it is i dropped a aglae wharfer for my shrimp this morning around 10am and now it has this crap on it.

here is pic

Some kind of bacteria, thats what grows on uneaten food. Make sure you gravel vac up crap like that and you will be fine.

When I gravel vac I always get a few bits of uneaten food with bacteria on it, yours is just huge because it was a big piece of uneaten food.

lyquidphyre said:
I don't think that is bacteria tho since its jellylike...

im not positive on that tho

What do you think it is then? Jello?

i had that when i was fishless cycling my tank with fish food. just vac it and it'll be fine.

It looks a lot like a water mold (Saprolegnia or some relative). It has a tendency to grow rapidly on any piece of uneaten food and can also play merry hades with any open wound on a fish. Vacuuming it out will get rid of the unsightly 'jello'. :D

-Joe

bacteria can grow very fast under good conditions, often times in my tank i will see a pellet of food floating around with that stuff on it, i believe it will eventually consume it. we grew bacteria in biology class overnight and we had huge cultures.

The Blob...... :lol:
J/k.......
Drop another wafer in and watch what happens over time? This all happened over a 12hr period no? I usually clean up all uneaten food after 10 minutes. You can break tiny pieces of your wafer and scatter a few across your tank.

And, with that fungus or bacteria on it, I think you'll find that NO fish will touch it. Def. best to get it out as soon as possible.

Back
Top Bottom