ok so snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nyrmel

Aquarium Advice Regular
ok I have some little stow away snails (I am ok with that) they lay eggs (also ok) the fish eat the eggs (still fine) I also have a large myrstery snail his name is "bulldozer" because of the havoc he has reaked against my decor (I dont complain it means I getto buy new stuff he cant turn over) :p
Now the question I got up today and he is sitting under the lip of the tank next to what looks like a baby califlower (I think these are eggs) it is about an inch across and deep soooo here it the question should I leave it be it isnt in the water at all and i cant put enough water in thetank to put it underwater without risjking an overflow. if thses are eggs how long do the take to um hatch? they really dont look like the eggs the little stowaways leave behind as those are much smaller and look like they are sitting in clear jello these are kinda cream cloroed and dont have the gel stuff around them.
I think snails are kinda fun and I like watching even the little guys wiggle arounf the tank andthe wrestleing matches they have around the wafers that I keep in the tank for them and my shrimp. Just looking to see whatothers think. I like Isaythink they are eggs otherwise a very large pile of %^$&

I know those snails purposely lay their eggs above the wter line, but have never successfully gotten any baby's in my setups.

Unless you have two mystery snails in the aquarium it is unlikely that the eggs have been fertilized and are viable. Most of the larger snails require two snails to breed.

Apples snails have distinct sexes, so you need a male & a female to have babies. However, females can store sperms. So there is a chance that the eggs are fertile.

Apple snails eggs need to be above water, but in a moist environment to hatch. some people keep the egg clutch floating on a piece of styrofoam in a tub of water to hatch. Or you can leave the eggs in its place & see what happens. It'll take some 3 weeks for the snails to hatch. If the eggs are not fertile, they will turn moldy before then.

This is an article on hatching the apple snails:
Hatching Out Apple Snail Clutches

oh are apple snails and mystery snails the same thing? i had thought they where different since i hace seen a few addicts specify they had one or the other and even both. Learn something new everyday. So I brought he/she home on the 1st and today the eggs where laid being the 11 does that sound about right to anyone? since (and here I have called bulldozer he) was still right there this am I am thinking they where laid early this morning as by the time i was dressed and leaving for work he/she had moved away and was eating. As for getting moldy well YUCK I will have to keep an eye out i guess I dont need mold in my fairly new tank. Thanks for the advice and please keep it coming

Apple Snail and Mystery Snail are both common names that refer to several species of snail. There is some overlap, and many people pretty much use the names interchangably. AppleSnail.Net is another great source for information on the different varieties out there.

Ill take a look.
I just got my new bulldozer proof decor a pretty little bubble river lets see him get under that it has 3 1/2 inches of gravel piled all around it and I replanted my micro sword infront of it between it and the tank glass so hopefully he wont pull it up any more. I also got my blue night light and set that up which looks really cool though very dim it said 1 light per 2 1/2 feet of tank length but i dont know who they are kidding i am going to get at least 2 add on's for it to get a good effect i want. But hey it is a start. The timer I was hoping for didnt arrive though and wont til AFTER me vacation so I will have to come up with something????
Tahnks for the advise I will check that site out
Have a great night yall

I'd start referring to Bulldozer as 'she', not 'he'. :)

Yah Yah with the whole laying of eggs I guess I will have to but bulldozer just doesnt sound like a she and the name fits her style of decorating soooooo well and dozette sounds corny I would love name suggestions that appeal to a havoc wreaking female though if anyone has an idea. I figure names are changable for atleast the first month. Maybe i should have a contest????

Hmm, Xena? Athena? Boudica doesn't sound very cool, be she was quite a fighter in her day. Basically any warlike female will do. haha

Back
Top Bottom