Ok to feed wild caught fruit flies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Legacy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey Everybody,

I was wondering if it would be ok to feed my archers fruit flies that I have been finding in my yard. I'm not sure if there would be anything to worry about like parasites or maybe something in thier diet that wouldn't settle well with my archers. I know that insects aren't a common diet for most aquarium fish but my archers are insectivores and love to hunt.

A fly some how ended up in my tank the other day and landed on the glass so one of my archers started shooting at it. The fly dodged and took flight so my archer leaped out of the water and caught it mid-flight. It was awesome. The back of my canopy is covered in window screening so my fiddler crabs wont escape. I was thinking I could put a handful of flies in the tank for the fish to hunt... if it's safe that is. I saw some flightless fruit flies at the local petstore but obviously they don't fly.

Thanks in Advance,
Dave

If I happen to catch some in my house I feed them to my betta and my hatchets. They really like it.

I've put ants in my tank before (eaten by previous residents: red-eye tetras, rosy barbs)

Well maybe I'll try them out. I guess it couldn't be any worse than what they were eating in the wild. I was just concerned that maybe they'd been eating trash or something that my fish shouldn't be ingesting. The flightless fruit flies would make a nice addition to my already vast menu.

Thanks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom