Old bolivian ram chasing new bolivian ram

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robo-snickers

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi ive had a BR for about 4-5 months, ive read online that they do good with other BR cause it shows off their social behavior. So yesterday i bought another BR a smaller looks younger Ram. However as soon as i added the BR he was isntantly chased by my older bolivian Ram. He is now hiding, i understand this is a territory thing, and my tank is heavly planted. Will this soon settle down after domians are formed or should i just return the ram when i have the chance? Tank is a 29G

Also i would like to note today, the new bolivian ram seems to come out in the open more, however he is still being chased. Almost like he is getting more gutsier.

robo-snickers said:
Hi ive had a BR for about 4-5 months, ive read online that they do good with other BR cause it shows off their social behavior. So yesterday i bought another BR a smaller looks younger Ram. However as soon as i added the BR he was isntantly chased by my older bolivian Ram. He is now hiding, i understand this is a territory thing, and my tank is heavly planted. Will this soon settle down after domians are formed or should i just return the ram when i have the chance? Tank is a 29G

Also i would like to note today, the new bolivian ram seems to come out in the open more, however he is still being chased. Almost like he is getting more gutsier.

These are neat fish! Give it a few days for things to settle down, but watch for major aggression. I would leave the lights off for awhile to ease stress levels on both fish. Moving tank decor around to break up the original br territory is a good idea. Any pictures?

Sounds territorial IMO. Time, and as Tetra1990 said, moving things around really helps. Smaller feedings help (same amount total) but more often should help too. Keeps their minds on food instead of each other. I hope this will help and I wish you luck!

IMG_0738.jpg
This is my older Ram, had him for about 4-5 months, he actually survived my tank when it crashed about 2 months ago, killed everything but my neons, oto and this ram. cant tell by this pic, but a few days ago i noticed he has been been getting alot more yellow on his belly.

IMG_0731.jpg
This is the new Ram thats being chased, he is a small guy, but been exploring the tank despite the risk of being chased away. this is his favorite hiding place it seems.

i guess ill wait a few more days, if it doesnt work out, and he is still being harrassed i will return him. funny, i saw a real nice ram at the story, very bright and a little bigger then my older ram. i was afraid of picking that one thinking it'll attack my older ram.

this is normal.

They are establishing dominance and territories.

As long as each Ram has its own section of the tank, happily eating and there are many hiding places, it should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom