Older Guppies killing newer Guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mecha Ghidrah

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have looked all across the internet for answers but this case seems to be unique to my tank. I have a 10 gallon tank with 3 male fancies, 2 Gouramis and 2 cories. This weekend I decided to add 3 guppies (1 female and 2 males) and a plant (anachris).

The first night and day the new guppies seemed to be settling in fine with their New tankmates but on Monday morning I awoke to find two guppies dead and the female barely alive. My old ones were fine except for a rip in one's fin. Came home to find the female dead.

This isn't the first time either. I tried to introduce 2 guppies (one female and one male) and they suffered the same fate with them being alive a few days and then mysteriously die a few days later (the same guy as before had a ripped fin). At the time I thought it was a bad stock of guppies.

My established guppies are thick as thieves and never really fight. Help please.

You answered your own question...you have "established" guppies.

General rule of thumb:
Guppies are notorious for not being kind to each other. It is usually suggested 3 females per 1 male guppy. Males are very active breeders, if you only have 1 female to 4 males...you just gave her a death sentence.

Also are you aware, the opposite side of the coin....if you have 1 female who is pregnant, she can give birth to young every month...even without a male. Females can store sperm up to a year and fertilize their own eggs.

Also a 10 gallon tank does not give fish any room for hiding.

yeah a new fish in a tank full of horny males....bad idea. Guppies will chase her to death. Rule of thumb is 1:2 or 1:3 male to femal ratio

Thanks for the advice guy's, guess I'll just have to stick with these 3 as 9 females is way to much for my tank (and all the babies).

Back
Top Bottom