Olive Nerite Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Does anyone have these olive nerite snails? I was reading on azgardens.com that they "wont reproduce" in freshwater only in brackish tanks, but they can be acclimated to fw tanks. Can anyone vouch for this? i'm thinking on getting a few for my tank for crawling under the rock purposes, but I definitely don't want snails that will keep on breeding. Also, how big do they get?
TIA
-Stewie

I have them, and mine do reproduce in FW, though not to the point that they have become a problem. It took almost a year of having them before they started. They are good algae eaters and do not eat plants. These are not substrate burrowers, though, if that is what you are looking for. Malaysian trumpet snails are the thing to get for substrate aeration.

Nerites get about as big as a green olive (don't know if that has anything to do with their name :wink: )

Thanks TG. So in other words... false advertisement!! lol I thought these snails sounded too good to be true. So they do reproduce AND they don't burrow. I don't have that much of an algae problem I just mainly wanted them for burrowing to help keep the gravel bed agitated. Thanks for the info.
-Stewie

I had 2 Zebra nerite snails.. They were great / didn't reproduce but did pass on sooner than I had hoped..

Are the zebra's related to olive? just color differences?

I would like more nerites but I ended up getting Apple Snails.. (which are great but are pretty good poopers)

Back
Top Bottom