OMG!! My puffer is NUTS!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hcourts

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I just transferred over my figure 8 puffer, Leroi to his humble aboad...I step away to feed my cats and come back and he is GONE!! Look everywhere and notice he has swam up the middle hole of my internal filter and gotten himself stuck:-0 he is completely puffed:-( so my question here is after being rescued his seemed ok swimming but seemed kinda stunned. Is this normal after puffer fish freak out and puff? I fixed the situation of the filter and his curious self getting back up in there but what happens after this 'puff' occurs? Anything other then the normal stress stuff I should watch for?!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437276333.624551.jpgthis was before the stress factor!! He still looks good just like he has seen a ghost!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Puffing is not in and of itself bad. Getting stuck in a small space can be a bit traumatic for any fish though. Puffers can very curious little buggers, so just make sure he has enough cover in his tank and areas to explore. Try a variety of sized hides so he can pick what he is comfortable in. Hopefully, he didn't injur himself. but, if he did, all you can do keep an eye on him.
Make sure to watch the water parameters too. Squeaky clean water is important, and especially so when a fish might be a bit stressed.

Ok:) he was back to his old self this morning. I fixed it so he can't find his way back up that hole into the filter!! I just didn't know if puffing added extra stress to them or what. I can't find any info other then that they puff when they are threatened. He is in a 10g by himself for now with a ton of things to explore. He's a nosy little booger! Thanks for the input:)

No prob. I am glad to hear he is back to himself! Puffs have such amazing personalities! On the downside, they often are a bit delicate, especially when small.

Yes they are sensitive!! I have had his tank up and running for a week with media from my established tank and a few inhabitants from it in there. Monitored levels. Everything stayed consistent so I switched him last night due to him having high hopes of eating my dojo loach? it's due for a water change this evening.

Back
Top Bottom