omg....tank too hot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxima423

Aquarium Advice Addict
so i filled my tank up, with water ( mix of hot and cold ) and i put the thermometer in, it said 90 degrees!!!!!! i thought it was just because i mixed hot and cold water...WELLLLLLL its been over 30mins and its still 90 degrees T_____T hopefully it goes down over night or something lol, can a betta fish survive in this heat lol T___T

are there fish in it now?? i'm guessing not.... it should go down, just wait longer. make sure to adjust your heater as necessary. maybe drop in a couple ice cubes if you're really worried about it :D

just make sure from now on, when replacing water, to temp match it to what is in your tank (when your tank temp stabilizes to where you want it). what i do is stick my finger in the tank, then in the bucket with the replacement water to see if it feels the same. if you really want, you can take your thermometer and put it in the bucket to see the actual temp.

if the temp is too high the bacteria will not grow. i'm not sure what temp is too high for the bacteria, but i'm pretty sure 90 is pushing it.

you could get a fan to blow across the top of the water. not sure how this works but I know it does cool it down. +1 on the temp match, I just swirl my hand around in the bucket as the water fills up to make sure it matches up well. I do let it get a little cooler (just a tad) so my fish has a nice little 'ahh' moment lol

what kind of bacteria because most bacteria thrive at temperatures at or around that of the human body 98.6 degrees, so 90 should be good

well i am not sure on this, but if the beneficial bacteria is anything like ich it won't surviuve. heat speeds up ich's life cycle. again i am not sure on this but just a thought.

Nitrifying Bacteria & Aquarium Health

in this article it says

As for temperature, the bacteria prefer a range from 65 - 85 degrees Fahrenheit. The activity of the bacteria will progressively decline as the temperature changes.

Life threatening conditions are reached at 95 degrees; adding just a few degrees and the activity comes to a total stop. As the preferred temperature range corresponds to most fish keeping requirements, temperature is of less concern.

so my bacteria are in danger right now, but not in immediate danger, ill try to get the temp lower tonight since ill be blasting my ac at since its 94 degrees outside, hopefully get it down to 80-85 degrees

almost at 86degrees !!! wooo temp is going down!!!! what temp should i stop at? i plan to have bettas, lots of shrimp and a schooling fish if a pair of betta imbellis dont work

you could stop there for the whole cycle. when you are ready to add fish, try to keep it constant, somewhere between 76-78 (mine is close to 80 and my fish are happy)

Betta like to be in 80'ish water, so that is where you can stay at.

<Even for cooler temp fish, staying at 80'ish would speed up the cycling. You can always fine tune the temp after the tank is cycled.>

Yeah when I filled my 55g it started out at 90 too. Then the electric went off lol. Anyway, by the end of the day it was at around 78F

mhmmm on the betta forum they say that bettas like temps around 82-84 degrees since they are tropical fish, well either way, my temp is going to be 80 - 82ish so i wont have a problem, i also read on some websites that betta splendens are not compatible with shrimp and might eat them, but betta imbellis are fine with them >____< so weird

If you just filled your tank up you might not have bacteria yet, did you use ammonia or are you trying that cycle bacteria stuff ?

Even if you use the cycle stuff, you need a source of ammonia. You could use pure ammonia, fish food, or a cocktail shrimp (like from the seafood counter). If Nutrafin cycle adds any bacteria to the tank, they need something to feed off of.

Back
Top Bottom