OMG! Unknown fish in aquarium!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fredje

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Today I saw what looked like a tail of a 5" fish stick out of one of the holes in my rock decorations. I had seen this once before but it was gone by the time I got closer to it so I thought I was imagining things and that it probably was a leaf. Today I saw the same thing again and on very careful closer inspection, the tail turned out to belong to a big ancistrus I have never seen before. As you can imagine I was freaked out!!
My wife looked at me funny when I told her about it but after doing some reading on the interwebs we started putting 2 and 2 together, here's what must have happened:

About a month ago I bought my current tank second hand from a guy, we got rid of all the gravel and put the completely empty tank in my car. He gave me 2 rock decorations as well, which I thought looked rather nice so I put these in a plastic bag and drove home. Now I realize the whole time there was an ancistrus sitting in one of these hollow rocks the guy never told me about! The poor fish must have been at least 3 hours out of the water of which 15 minutes in the freezing cold!

I guess the ancistrus almost only comes out at night (perhaps due to a red tail shark in the tank) which is the reason it took me so long to discover. I'm a little worried whether he gets enough to eat, I do have bog wood in my tank and now put a slice of cucumber near the rock opening.

I'm intrigued now and want to see him! Any ideas how to lure him out during daytime?

you mean a pleco. Put out some Algae wafers, cucumber, perhaps another member will chime in. I would only feed during the day and he will well be forced to come out and eat.

how big is your tank? Red tails get VERY big don't the?

I too found a surprise fish. a 10" leporinus.

You could add some cholla wood or algae wafers to lure him out. Blanched zucchini works too.

Thanks, yes sorry the surprise fish is indeed a pleco as far as I could tell.
The tank is 50G, the shark is about the same size as the pleco.
Will try to feed the pleco a zucchini, or as they say here feed the ancistrus a courgette ;)

I too found a surprise fish. a 10" leporinus.

You could add some cholla wood or algae wafers to lure him out. Blanched zucchini works too.

Haha that's akin to finding a wolf in your dog yard! Sure it looks awesome but it's going to end poorly! ;)

Well I bought a used 110 gal. After we drained the tank, I moved some large rock and he flopped out. I quickly put him in a bucket, and was going to take him to the Lfs but I guess the stress got to him because he didn't last long after that. Was quite the surprise.

To lure the pleco out you can use blanched zucchini and cucumber or algae wafers, as the members above said. I think that plecos prefer to feed at night but I'm not 100% sure.

I always feed my pleco's after the lights are off and blanched zucchini is by far the favorite of mine.

+1 with rivercats, my plecs are always fed when lights are out. Mine love blanched cucumber, spinach, algae wafers & shrimp pellets. :)

Back
Top Bottom