OMG! woke up this morning to find my heater STUCK in the "ON" position! overheated :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubble_B0y

Aquarium Advice Addict
OMG! woke up this morning to find my heater STUCK in the "ON" position! overheated :(

temperature rose from 74 to 84 !!!:eek:

I saw my fish resting on the bottom of the tank. And not very active.
I knew something was wrong.
I checked my ammonia/nitrite/nitrate, and my pH, and then my thermometer.

I then noticed condensation inside the heater!!! :nono:
I believe the heater is faulty and no longer safe

What kind of heater is it? Possibly a Marineland? How long have you had it for? What kind of fish do you have? My tank is always above 80 degrees but my fish are very active.

What kind of heater is it? Possibly a Marineland? How long have you had it for? What kind of fish do you have? My tank is always above 80 degrees but my fish are very active.

isn't it the fact that it went up in temp so fast the problem though? not the actual temp

I had an aqueon heater fill with condensation. The seal could be broken and u probably shouldn't use it if there is water build up in it.

Defective heater!

Most come with a life warranty (at least mine do). Do you by any chance happen to have the reciept and original box? If not some LFS will take in used things that they'll sell to other people.

I just came back from the LFS.
They replaced my heater :) I installed the new one!

I had an aqueon heater fill with condensation. The seal could be broken and u probably shouldn't use it if there is water build up in it.

I think the seal was broken. Because when I removed the defective heater from the tank - there was water INSIDE the heater!

Let me know how hard it is to get a replacement heater. I heard it was a hard process from someone, but I can't remember where I read it.

Let me know how hard it is to get a replacement heater. I heard it was a hard process from someone, but I can't remember where I read it.

check the warranty on the heater.
Most heaters come with a warranty from the manufacturer. Check the instruction manual inside the box -in which case, you have to send it back to them. Which is time-consuming....:banghead:

But, usually most LFS/pet stores will have a store warranty of 1 year - with proof of purchase.

Glad you got the situation fixed! Are your fishies more active now? It was probably was the speed of the tempo increase that was an issue. I keep my tanks a bit above 80 and the fish do great in it.

I sent aqueon pics and a copy of my receipt and they sent a new heater np. Hopefully thatll work out for u as well

Glad you got the situation fixed! Are your fishies more active now? It was probably was the speed of the tempo increase that was an issue. I keep my tanks a bit above 80 and the fish do great in it.

yes, my fish are back to normal and active again :D
Glad I caught the problem in time.

Back
Top Bottom