On a whim

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoneFishing

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, while the wife and I were at the lfs we bought/rescued a betta. It was all my wife saying she wanted it so we got it for our 10g. I have done a few searches on here for cohabitants and came up short. I was thinking of getting 2 Ottos and I think that would pretty much max me out right?

up it to 3 ottos. do you have anything else in it? if not you colud do 3 african dwarf frogs and 6 neon tetras.

up it to 3 ottos. do you have anything else in it? if not you colud do 3 african dwarf frogs and 6 neon tetras.

Only other thing I have in the tank is a Moss Ball. so 3 ottos, no adf's since frogs freak the wife out.. and tetras won't pose an issue with their colors?

i dont have any experience with neons,but several members keep them with bettas and have no problems. you could also have some ghost shrimp.

I don't have experience with with bettas, but I believe the problem is when the fish has long flowing fins similar to the betta, like guppies.

Deep Seven said:
I don't have experience with with bettas, but I believe the problem is when the fish has long flowing fins similar to the betta, like guppies.

I have also heard this.

It shouldn't be an issue with the fish you are planning to keep.

As for the Otos, I agree with alLexX that you should bump up the number to 3. That number of Otos with the 6 Neon Tetras suggested or something similar would be a good mix and would not be overcrowding the tank IMO.

Yep, as long as the other fish don't have long/fancy fins the betta won't take it as a threat (ie another male betta) to its domain. I have Cardinal Tetras with mixed shrimp in my 8g betta tank and they get along great.

This would be way too much for a 10 gallon IMO. The tetras should work. Some bettas just don't accept tank mates, but most won't have a problem with some peaceful tetras.

Awesome thanks for the suggestions! I think the 6 neons/cardinals will be the new additions. I thought betta saw shrimp as food and was not recommended as a tank mate..?

Bigger shrimp like amanos are most often ignored. Small shrimp like RCS can be ok for a while, but eventually the betta will grow large enough to eat adults. Juvenile RCS will be eaten.

Ahh ok, well as it stands now, there is no cover in this tank at all.. Time to make a list.. Thanks again everyone!

Back
Top Bottom