? on filter for pygmy cory's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kingmed

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 29 setup that is filtered at present time by an AC 110, it has 11 pygmy cory and aprox. 8 cherry shrimp, I have had the tank cycled for over a year but have only had these fish in it for 2 months. I am wanting to replace the filter with another one, I was thinking of a sponge filter (perferrably just one) but I was wondering if I went down to an AC 50 filter if this would be large enough to keep the tank cycled and good. I am trying to breed the cory's, the shrimp are doing fine on there own---I'm going to use the present filter on my other 55 gallon tank here shortly but I just wanted to know if there are any recommendations on the best or a better filter for this tank. The present AC 110 has a sponge over the intake (taken from an old AC 70) to decrease the intake but the outflow is still pretty heavy. THANKS

you would want to run both filters at once. after 2-3 weeks you can move the 110 off with out too much trouble. you might have a mini cycle but it shouldnt be too bad. just keep a eye on it.

you would want to run both filters at once. after 2-3 weeks you can move the 110 off with out too much trouble. you might have a mini cycle but it shouldnt be too bad. just keep a eye on it.
ya thanks, I was going to put both on the back so as to get a good cycle in the other filter, thanks for reminding me! do you think that the AC 50 would be better than a sponge filter?

I personally would go with a sponge filter. The sponge provides a feeding surface for the pygmy cories and I frequently will see a bunch of them sitting on top of the filter.

Back
Top Bottom