Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-20-2013, 03:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Once Tank Is Stable I Want To Add More Fish

So I'm considering on adding an Irradescent Shark, 4 more colored Guppies and 3 different colored Duarf Gouramis. Would these fishes get along in the same tank?

Old 08-20-2013, 04:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hello In...

Guppies are very peaceful and do best in a "species" (by themselves) tank than a "community" tank. Most fish, regardless of their size, will go after the male guppy's fancy tail. You could put Corydoras with Guppies, but there aren't many others that won't bully the fancy males.

I would leave the Guppies out of this group.

B

Old 08-20-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

What size tank do you have? An iridescent shark gets to be 2-3 feet long and needs a 500 gallon tank. They really shouldn't be sold in the hobby IMHO.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivers2k View Post
What size tank do you have? An iridescent shark gets to be 2-3 feet long and needs a 500 gallon tank. They really shouldn't be sold in the hobby IMHO.
I have a 29g. There so beautiful! I had on before for almost 3 years and he died of Ick from a sick fish. :/ my iridescent shark was very friendly with my guppies.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incogneto21 View Post
I have a 29g. There so beautiful! I had on before for almost 3 years and he died of Ick from a sick fish. :/ my iridescent shark was very friendly with my guppies.
He was in the 29 for 3 years? Yes they are beautiful and great fish but they grow to be huge.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:55 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would rethink the dwarf gouramis. They are very lovely, but they are often very fragile, having developed a reputation for dying suddenly for no apparent reason. It may be inbreeding, it may be something else, but often they do not last long. Honey gourami might be better, if you are set on a small gourami. They are dwarf too, but not quite as fragile, so far as I know. I have not kept one.

Dwarf Gourami also need heavy floating plant cover, very quiet water, with little current, and lots of planted plants. Wood and rocks are good too, anything to break up sight lines so the fish don't feel exposed. They get badly stressed by too much water movement or wide open spaces. Males may spar if females are present, and even if they are not present.

I love the look of these fish but have stopped trying to keep them. It is just too costly and very depressing to have them suddenly die, which happened to every single one I had. I was trying to breed them, needless to say, without success.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:08 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfur View Post
I would rethink the dwarf gouramis. They are very lovely, but they are often very fragile, having developed a reputation for dying suddenly for no apparent reason. It may be inbreeding, it may be something else, but often they do not last long. Honey gourami might be better, if you are set on a small gourami. They are dwarf too, but not quite as fragile, so far as I know. I have not kept one.

Dwarf Gourami also need heavy floating plant cover, very quiet water, with little current, and lots of planted plants. Wood and rocks are good too, anything to break up sight lines so the fish don't feel exposed. They get badly stressed by too much water movement or wide open spaces. Males may spar if females are present, and even if they are not present.

I love the look of these fish but have stopped trying to keep them. It is just too costly and very depressing to have them suddenly die, which happened to every single one I had. I was trying to breed them, needless to say, without success.
This ↑↑↑↑

Most of the dwarf gouramis I have kept have succumbed to illnesses within 6 to 9 months, and that includes the honey gourami as well. They are prone to a virus that makes them lose their color and get very skinny, only to die shortly after. You might as well by clove oil right along with the gourami!

According to a well-experienced local shop-keeper, this is more evident in the dwarf gouramis that are bred in the far east. He will now only purchase them from local Florida breedersóand even then...

When I get home later I'll post a pic of one of my sick dwarf gouramis. I believe that one died with dropsy-type symptoms, can't remember though.

Unless you have a pool in the backyard, stay away from the iridescent shark. Instead, you may want to look into the rainbow shark or the red-tailed black shark.

David
Old 08-21-2013, 04:12 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

What do the vertical arrows mean ?

Seems you are agreeing more or less. As I said, I've no experience with the honey gourami, only mentioned it in case the OP was determined to have a dwarf gourami. Many prefer the bright coloured variants of the Dwarf G. and I can understand why. They are lovely. Just darn near impossible to keep alive for any length of time. I've yet to hear of one that lived much past a year at most, though I am sure some of them do live longer than that.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:18 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfur View Post
What do the vertical arrows mean ?

Seems you are agreeing more or less. As I said, I've no experience with the honey gourami, only mentioned it in case the OP was determined to have a dwarf gourami. Many prefer the bright coloured variants of the Dwarf G. and I can understand why. They are lovely. Just darn near impossible to keep alive for any length of time. I've yet to hear of one that lived much past a year at most, though I am sure some of them do live longer than that.
It means I agree with what is quoted in internet-speak. The arrows point to the quote.

David
Old 08-21-2013, 04:29 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ah, thank you. That's a new one to me, I guess I learn something every day if I'm fortunate, and paying attention .
Old 08-21-2013, 09:03 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

As I mentioned earlier, here are the pics of my deceased honey gourami. For some reason I thought he had dropsy-like symptoms, but when looking at the pictures I now recall it was fluid in the abdomen. This has happened to two different gouramis, both of which were kept at different times, probably years apart. Take note of the loss of facial muscles. This, as well as weight loss, is a common denominator with these fish when they get sick. At least in my experience.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0507.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	244.1 KB
ID:	193769   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0521.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	250.7 KB
ID:	193770  

Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0523.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	250.2 KB
ID:	193771  

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com