Once Tank Is Stable I Want To Add More Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Incogneto21

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I'm considering on adding an Irradescent Shark, 4 more colored Guppies and 3 different colored Duarf Gouramis. Would these fishes get along in the same tank?

Hello In...

Guppies are very peaceful and do best in a "species" (by themselves) tank than a "community" tank. Most fish, regardless of their size, will go after the male guppy's fancy tail. You could put Corydoras with Guppies, but there aren't many others that won't bully the fancy males.

I would leave the Guppies out of this group.

B

What size tank do you have? An iridescent shark gets to be 2-3 feet long and needs a 500 gallon tank. They really shouldn't be sold in the hobby IMHO.

What size tank do you have? An iridescent shark gets to be 2-3 feet long and needs a 500 gallon tank. They really shouldn't be sold in the hobby IMHO.

I have a 29g. There so beautiful! I had on before for almost 3 years and he died of Ick from a sick fish. :/ my iridescent shark was very friendly with my guppies.

I have a 29g. There so beautiful! I had on before for almost 3 years and he died of Ick from a sick fish. :/ my iridescent shark was very friendly with my guppies.

He was in the 29 for 3 years? Yes they are beautiful and great fish but they grow to be huge.

I would rethink the dwarf gouramis. They are very lovely, but they are often very fragile, having developed a reputation for dying suddenly for no apparent reason. It may be inbreeding, it may be something else, but often they do not last long. Honey gourami might be better, if you are set on a small gourami. They are dwarf too, but not quite as fragile, so far as I know. I have not kept one.

Dwarf Gourami also need heavy floating plant cover, very quiet water, with little current, and lots of planted plants. Wood and rocks are good too, anything to break up sight lines so the fish don't feel exposed. They get badly stressed by too much water movement or wide open spaces. Males may spar if females are present, and even if they are not present.

I love the look of these fish but have stopped trying to keep them. It is just too costly and very depressing to have them suddenly die, which happened to every single one I had. I was trying to breed them, needless to say, without success.

I would rethink the dwarf gouramis. They are very lovely, but they are often very fragile, having developed a reputation for dying suddenly for no apparent reason. It may be inbreeding, it may be something else, but often they do not last long. Honey gourami might be better, if you are set on a small gourami. They are dwarf too, but not quite as fragile, so far as I know. I have not kept one.

Dwarf Gourami also need heavy floating plant cover, very quiet water, with little current, and lots of planted plants. Wood and rocks are good too, anything to break up sight lines so the fish don't feel exposed. They get badly stressed by too much water movement or wide open spaces. Males may spar if females are present, and even if they are not present.

I love the look of these fish but have stopped trying to keep them. It is just too costly and very depressing to have them suddenly die, which happened to every single one I had. I was trying to breed them, needless to say, without success.
This ↑↑↑↑

Most of the dwarf gouramis I have kept have succumbed to illnesses within 6 to 9 months, and that includes the honey gourami as well. They are prone to a virus that makes them lose their color and get very skinny, only to die shortly after. You might as well by clove oil right along with the gourami!

According to a well-experienced local shop-keeper, this is more evident in the dwarf gouramis that are bred in the far east. He will now only purchase them from local Florida breeders—and even then...

When I get home later I'll post a pic of one of my sick dwarf gouramis. I believe that one died with dropsy-type symptoms, can't remember though.

Unless you have a pool in the backyard, stay away from the iridescent shark. Instead, you may want to look into the rainbow shark or the red-tailed black shark.

David

What do the vertical arrows mean ?

Seems you are agreeing more or less. As I said, I've no experience with the honey gourami, only mentioned it in case the OP was determined to have a dwarf gourami. Many prefer the bright coloured variants of the Dwarf G. and I can understand why. They are lovely. Just darn near impossible to keep alive for any length of time. I've yet to hear of one that lived much past a year at most, though I am sure some of them do live longer than that.

What do the vertical arrows mean ?

Seems you are agreeing more or less. As I said, I've no experience with the honey gourami, only mentioned it in case the OP was determined to have a dwarf gourami. Many prefer the bright coloured variants of the Dwarf G. and I can understand why. They are lovely. Just darn near impossible to keep alive for any length of time. I've yet to hear of one that lived much past a year at most, though I am sure some of them do live longer than that.
It means I agree with what is quoted in internet-speak. The arrows point to the quote.

David

As I mentioned earlier, here are the pics of my deceased honey gourami. For some reason I thought he had dropsy-like symptoms, but when looking at the pictures I now recall it was fluid in the abdomen. This has happened to two different gouramis, both of which were kept at different times, probably years apart. Take note of the loss of facial muscles. This, as well as weight loss, is a common denominator with these fish when they get sick. At least in my experience.

David

Attachments

• PICT0507.jpg
    PICT0507.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 46
  • PICT0521.jpg
    PICT0521.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 36
  • PICT0523.jpg
    PICT0523.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 48
Back