Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 08-20-2013, 03:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 62
Once Tank Is Stable I Want To Add More Fish

So I'm considering on adding an Irradescent Shark, 4 more colored Guppies and 3 different colored Duarf Gouramis. Would these fishes get along in the same tank?
__________________

__________________
Incogneto21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
BBradbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 5,011
Hello In...

Guppies are very peaceful and do best in a "species" (by themselves) tank than a "community" tank. Most fish, regardless of their size, will go after the male guppy's fancy tail. You could put Corydoras with Guppies, but there aren't many others that won't bully the fancy males.

I would leave the Guppies out of this group.

B
__________________

__________________
"Fear not, my young apprentice. Just change the tank water."
BBradbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Rivers2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,694
What size tank do you have? An iridescent shark gets to be 2-3 feet long and needs a 500 gallon tank. They really shouldn't be sold in the hobby IMHO.
__________________
Rivers2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivers2k View Post
What size tank do you have? An iridescent shark gets to be 2-3 feet long and needs a 500 gallon tank. They really shouldn't be sold in the hobby IMHO.
I have a 29g. There so beautiful! I had on before for almost 3 years and he died of Ick from a sick fish. :/ my iridescent shark was very friendly with my guppies.
__________________
Incogneto21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Rivers2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incogneto21 View Post
I have a 29g. There so beautiful! I had on before for almost 3 years and he died of Ick from a sick fish. :/ my iridescent shark was very friendly with my guppies.
He was in the 29 for 3 years? Yes they are beautiful and great fish but they grow to be huge.
__________________
Rivers2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:55 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,270
I would rethink the dwarf gouramis. They are very lovely, but they are often very fragile, having developed a reputation for dying suddenly for no apparent reason. It may be inbreeding, it may be something else, but often they do not last long. Honey gourami might be better, if you are set on a small gourami. They are dwarf too, but not quite as fragile, so far as I know. I have not kept one.

Dwarf Gourami also need heavy floating plant cover, very quiet water, with little current, and lots of planted plants. Wood and rocks are good too, anything to break up sight lines so the fish don't feel exposed. They get badly stressed by too much water movement or wide open spaces. Males may spar if females are present, and even if they are not present.

I love the look of these fish but have stopped trying to keep them. It is just too costly and very depressing to have them suddenly die, which happened to every single one I had. I was trying to breed them, needless to say, without success.
__________________
Fishfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:08 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
DavidAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfur View Post
I would rethink the dwarf gouramis. They are very lovely, but they are often very fragile, having developed a reputation for dying suddenly for no apparent reason. It may be inbreeding, it may be something else, but often they do not last long. Honey gourami might be better, if you are set on a small gourami. They are dwarf too, but not quite as fragile, so far as I know. I have not kept one.

Dwarf Gourami also need heavy floating plant cover, very quiet water, with little current, and lots of planted plants. Wood and rocks are good too, anything to break up sight lines so the fish don't feel exposed. They get badly stressed by too much water movement or wide open spaces. Males may spar if females are present, and even if they are not present.

I love the look of these fish but have stopped trying to keep them. It is just too costly and very depressing to have them suddenly die, which happened to every single one I had. I was trying to breed them, needless to say, without success.
This ↑↑↑↑

Most of the dwarf gouramis I have kept have succumbed to illnesses within 6 to 9 months, and that includes the honey gourami as well. They are prone to a virus that makes them lose their color and get very skinny, only to die shortly after. You might as well by clove oil right along with the gourami!

According to a well-experienced local shop-keeper, this is more evident in the dwarf gouramis that are bred in the far east. He will now only purchase them from local Florida breedersóand even then...

When I get home later I'll post a pic of one of my sick dwarf gouramis. I believe that one died with dropsy-type symptoms, can't remember though.

Unless you have a pool in the backyard, stay away from the iridescent shark. Instead, you may want to look into the rainbow shark or the red-tailed black shark.

David
__________________
DavidAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:12 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,270
What do the vertical arrows mean ?

Seems you are agreeing more or less. As I said, I've no experience with the honey gourami, only mentioned it in case the OP was determined to have a dwarf gourami. Many prefer the bright coloured variants of the Dwarf G. and I can understand why. They are lovely. Just darn near impossible to keep alive for any length of time. I've yet to hear of one that lived much past a year at most, though I am sure some of them do live longer than that.
__________________
Fishfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:18 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
DavidAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfur View Post
What do the vertical arrows mean ?

Seems you are agreeing more or less. As I said, I've no experience with the honey gourami, only mentioned it in case the OP was determined to have a dwarf gourami. Many prefer the bright coloured variants of the Dwarf G. and I can understand why. They are lovely. Just darn near impossible to keep alive for any length of time. I've yet to hear of one that lived much past a year at most, though I am sure some of them do live longer than that.
It means I agree with what is quoted in internet-speak. The arrows point to the quote.

David
__________________
DavidAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:29 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,270
Ah, thank you. That's a new one to me, I guess I learn something every day if I'm fortunate, and paying attention .
__________________
Fishfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:03 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
DavidAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 756
As I mentioned earlier, here are the pics of my deceased honey gourami. For some reason I thought he had dropsy-like symptoms, but when looking at the pictures I now recall it was fluid in the abdomen. This has happened to two different gouramis, both of which were kept at different times, probably years apart. Take note of the loss of facial muscles. This, as well as weight loss, is a common denominator with these fish when they get sick. At least in my experience.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0507.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	244.1 KB
ID:	193769   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0521.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	250.7 KB
ID:	193770  

Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0523.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	250.2 KB
ID:	193771  
__________________

__________________
DavidAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.