One eyed cory cat question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wagman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My daughter picked out a small cory cat (less than 1 inch) for her 10Gal tank. Right now there are some danios, small yellow severum, and another cory.

When we got the fish home she noticed one eye is missing. It does not look like a recent wound (I know, I know, always closely inspect the fish before leaving the store!). She has grown attached to the little guy and does not want to take it back for a new one.

Does keeping this fish present a potential problem for introducing disease to the rest of the tank. My thinking is that the fish is now more succeptible to bacteria etc. The fish acts normal, and it appears healthy and vigorous.

Thanks in advance.

-wags

If the eye is clearly healed over, and there are no other sings of illness, I see no harm in keeping the fish. Any time you add a new fish there is the potential of it coming in with disease, even if it looks healthy. ( I should add here that its a good idea to quarantine new fish in a separate tank before adding them to your main tank, but I know not everyone can do that) Just keep an eye on him and keep the water clean.

Just keep an eye on him and keep the water clean.

no pun intended?

1 eye fish are just as good as ones with 2 eyes, except in an agressive tank where they have to be watchful at all times.

I'm sure he'll be quite happy, and the other fish will leave him alone. you could also look at it as a good sign, since the fish is obviously hardy enough to survive eye trauma.

They will just fine with 1 eye. My bala had popeye, and it's completely healed over. And I swear he can see out of it still, even though it looks recessed and not there. But occasionally you will see a pupil move in there. So I'm sure he does have some vision, if not complete vision. But anyays, with 1 eye, it should do just fine, as long as there's no sign of swelling, redness, or disease.

Back
Top Bottom