One more question - Possibly a sensitve subject.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MyCatsDrool

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I apologize in advance, and hope people understand that I am not cruel to my fish or any other animals.
What do you do when you want to get rid of a fish that you no longer want for various reasons? The reasons would be: prolific breeding, bullying, other incompatability.
Does it depend on the monetary value of the fish? If the fish is inexpensive, what do you do? What if you do not have a fish shoppe readily available and no one to take the fish(es)?
Please answer honestly, as I am in a predicament with some fish I own. And please, this is not to ruffle any feathers, but an honest question.

I've never found an LFS that won't take back a fish. I've given fish back for no credit but they did take the fish.

I've never had to get rid of a fish but I know some people sell the fish on like aquabid or something like that, or find stores that'll take them, and some people just try to give them away to someone who wants it. HTH ^^

Honest question, no harm. :)

I agree with the others. Most stores won't hesitate to just take the fish. Might not give you credit for them, but sounds like that's not too important for you.

However, if worse comes to worse and the fish must go, I have written an article explaining euthanasia in fish. You can view it here.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=76451

Again, please consider this as a last effort if all else fails.

I had several large cichlids that I had to get rid of while my house was rebuilt. The timeframe wasn't short enough to house them temporarily, so they had to go.

I used Craigslist to give them away. I found them a great home with a bigger tank and a family that actually knew how to care for them. It was a really good experience.

I gave some breeding convicts to a school once. They still have the setup running 10 years later.

Those are excellent ideas. I have some fish I simply cannot house anymore and I want to give them to good homes. Thank you. I am considering donating a full fish tank with the fish I cannot keep to a local school or boys and girls club in my neice's name. She is 11 years old and the boys and girls club has made all the difference in her life.

I would try to give them away locally through something like craiglist

I have done this twice because I had a lot of cichlid fry and another time. Both times people were very happy to take them for free. Just be careful who you deal with out there.

cat drool, what kind of fish are they, perhaps some aa members would be interested in taking them off your hands, check out the barter/trade section

If you've got more than one tank available that's a possible relocation for a naughty fish thats what I tend to do (tanks rapidly get labelled 'The Naughty Tank' until other fish are introduced and the bullies calm down :p). But, I'd donate to an LFS if I couldn't rehome within one of my own tanks.

There is the question of why your fish is behaving badly in some cases though (this only applies to one of your hypotheticals I know): it could be overcrowding or incompatability with other species within the tank. It is always very important to research the compatability of fish before you introduce them together, and this is often overlooked!

But yep, the LFS is your friend (mostly :p)!

Mike469 said:
I would try to give them away locally through something like craiglist

I have done this twice because I had a lot of cichlid fry and another time. Both times people were very happy to take them for free. Just be careful who you deal with out there.

I agree also. I've given fish away twice on craigslist and was very satisfied with their new homes. Good luck!

I think both giving to the lfs and craigslist are excellent ideas. Another option will cost you a little, but you can always try placing an ad in the local paper as well. Just might find a happy home for the fish.

if giving them to the lfs doesnt work, try giving them away on the trade/barter section mentioned above.

i still strongly disaprove of euthanasia, as your fish didnt get to choose to be given to you.

if you bought them, please consider them your responsibility

Actually, as stated before, I have an extra aquarium and I believe I am going to donate them to the local boys and girls club, in my neice's name. They have done such extraordinary things for her, and I feel the children there will truly enjoy them.
I would not euthanize a fish just for the sake of not wanting them. However I will not lie and say I have never considered it in a moment of frustration.

Back
Top Bottom