Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 08-22-2013, 11:09 AM   #41
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Bettaorr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostshine View Post
Clearing things up:

I have a master test kit picked out on amazon. After school, I will bug my dad to get me one. It is 18$ or so on amazon last time I checked. I will euthanize the fish tomorrow probably, and am holding off on breeding until next summer.

One more question: will this disease spread?
It is possible but not knowing what it is its hard to say if it will or not
__________________

__________________
Bettaorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:11 AM   #42
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Frostshine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 105
Okay, thanks. I think that pretty much resolves it.
__________________

__________________
Who doesn't love the little guys?
Frostshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:12 AM   #43
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Bettaorr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostshine View Post
Okay, thanks. I think that pretty much resolves it.
Good luck hopefully u don't loose anymore fish
__________________
Bettaorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:25 AM   #44
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Dubs1281's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostshine View Post

Thanks, and I'm sorry. Good luck to you. (I think this was a comment to me, haha)
Thanks, she is getting better in my eyes. What I would do, as your deciding factor to put her down, if she makes a good attempt to swim from your net. If she does, thats a good sign. I had my gbr quarantined and when I went to scoop her, she didn't even try to get away. I pit her back in the main tank to nights ago, and ahe now switches hiding places and swims away from other fish. So I think she's getting better.
__________________
Dubs1281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:27 AM   #45
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Bettaorr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubs1281 View Post

Thanks, she is getting better in my eyes. What I would do, as your deciding factor to put her down, if she makes a good attempt to swim from your net. If she does, thats a good sign. I had my gbr quarantined and when I went to scoop her, she didn't even try to get away. I pit her back in the main tank to nights ago, and ahe now switches hiding places and swims away from other fish. So I think she's getting better.
That's good news keep us posted on how she does
__________________
Bettaorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:28 AM   #46
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Dubs1281's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettaorr View Post

That's good news keep us posted on how she does
I actually have my own thread on it if you wsnt to check it out.
__________________
Dubs1281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:30 AM   #47
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Bettaorr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubs1281 View Post

I actually have my own thread on it if you wsnt to check it out.
I would what's it called
__________________
Bettaorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #48
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Frostshine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 105
Good! Wish you the best, and hope she gets better!
__________________
Who doesn't love the little guys?
Frostshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:33 AM   #49
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Dubs1281's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 611
Thanks, its gbr dying.
__________________
Dubs1281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:44 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Frostshine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 105
UPDATE: The guppy died this afternoon.
__________________
Who doesn't love the little guys?
Frostshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:43 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Dubs1281's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostshine View Post
UPDATE: The guppy died this afternoon.
Sorry man. I just had a peacock in my cichild tank die out of the blue. I had to put her down because she was belly up but still breathing.
__________________
Dubs1281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:24 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,270
I am sorry you lost the fish. The sad fact is that often we can't know why a fish is ill. There is not a great amount known about many things that can happen with ornamental fish, most of the research is done on food fish.

But many ornamental fish today are highly inbred. It is how most new colours are obtained, and it does bring out recessive genes and genes that do not contribute to long life or good health. It is very common to see some fish in a new tankful of young ones in any fish store with spinal deformities or other problems that are related to being inbred. Don't buy fish like that, even if you feel sorry for them you are only buying trouble later.

So your guppy may well have had a hidden genetic defect that did not show up right away. Some don't show up until a certain age, or under certain conditions. It is unfortunate, but often you will never know why a fish has become ill or why they die.

Also, all tank water has organisms in it. They are fungal, ,bacterial & viral. Most of the time, with most healthy fish, none of them cause any problems. Even some parasites will be in there, but a healthy fish with a good immune system has no trouble with them.

But if a fish has another problem, whether it might be genetic, or an injury, then some organisms can invade or take over. This is called opportunistic infection. It can happen to humans too.

So your guppy might have been a bit weak, or slightly injured, and some organism got at her, and she got an infection. Shipping stress can result in this sometimes, and ammonia can make fish very ill, even at low levels. It burns their gills and if not removed quickly, can affect internal organs too. Fish might live, but will have shorter lives and be much more likely to pick up an opportunistic infection later, because they have been permanently damaged.

Poor water conditions, if tank maintenance is not done properly, can also result in opportunistic infections in some fish. Some will be more vulnerable than others, just like not everyone will catch the cold that is going around but some will get very sick with it, and others only a bit sick. Fish vary, it's normal.

It is great you care about your fish. I hope your parents will allow you to get the test kits. If you have the money yourself, you may be able to get one of those 'gift' Visa cards. Some of them can be used to buy online, up to the amount you put on them with your cash. Some can be reloaded. Some banks also have a a type of debit card that can be used to buy online, but you do need a bank account for those.

These cards can be a way to get around not having a regular credit card, which not everyone has, no matter what age they are. Cards you 'buy' are also not linked to any of your personal information, so some people like to use them online for that reason.

Not all online merchants will take them though. Some require that a card have both a billing address and a shipping address that are identical. This is because they are trying to reduce credit card fraud online.

I use Paypal whenever possible, but you need at least one bank account to have a Paypal account, and I am not sure what the age limit is on using Paypal either. Best of luck.

Whoever said freezing a fish is a humane method of euthanasia, I completely disagree. Clove oil is humane, and if you are able to do it quickly, some think beheading is humane, though they say you should pith the brain immediately afterward to be sure the fish feels nothing, since the brain does not die instantly. But freezing is considered cruel now. It was once thought to be ok, but not any more.

If you must euthanize a fish, get clove oil to do it.
__________________
Fishfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:34 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Fishdude3233's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Marietta ga
Posts: 1,622
I didn't say freezing a fish!!!! I said to put a fish I Half frozen water!!!! It kills the fish instantly!!! Here is the link

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...sia-73775.html

Scroll Dow to the part about temperature shock. Tha author says it is the best way to euthanize a fish. Please research before you accuse me of something!!!
__________________
Fishdude3233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:34 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Frostshine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfur View Post
I am sorry you lost the fish. The sad fact is that often we can't know why a fish is ill. There is not a great amount known about many things that can happen with ornamental fish, most of the research is done on food fish.

But many ornamental fish today are highly inbred. It is how most new colours are obtained, and it does bring out recessive genes and genes that do not contribute to long life or good health. It is very common to see some fish in a new tankful of young ones in any fish store with spinal deformities or other problems that are related to being inbred. Don't buy fish like that, even if you feel sorry for them you are only buying trouble later.

So your guppy may well have had a hidden genetic defect that did not show up right away. Some don't show up until a certain age, or under certain conditions. It is unfortunate, but often you will never know why a fish has become ill or why they die.

Also, all tank water has organisms in it. They are fungal, ,bacterial & viral. Most of the time, with most healthy fish, none of them cause any problems. Even some parasites will be in there, but a healthy fish with a good immune system has no trouble with them.

But if a fish has another problem, whether it might be genetic, or an injury, then some organisms can invade or take over. This is called opportunistic infection. It can happen to humans too.

So your guppy might have been a bit weak, or slightly injured, and some organism got at her, and she got an infection. Shipping stress can result in this sometimes, and ammonia can make fish very ill, even at low levels. It burns their gills and if not removed quickly, can affect internal organs too. Fish might live, but will have shorter lives and be much more likely to pick up an opportunistic infection later, because they have been permanently damaged.

Poor water conditions, if tank maintenance is not done properly, can also result in opportunistic infections in some fish. Some will be more vulnerable than others, just like not everyone will catch the cold that is going around but some will get very sick with it, and others only a bit sick. Fish vary, it's normal.

It is great you care about your fish. I hope your parents will allow you to get the test kits. If you have the money yourself, you may be able to get one of those 'gift' Visa cards. Some of them can be used to buy online, up to the amount you put on them with your cash. Some can be reloaded. Some banks also have a a type of debit card that can be used to buy online, but you do need a bank account for those.

These cards can be a way to get around not having a regular credit card, which not everyone has, no matter what age they are. Cards you 'buy' are also not linked to any of your personal information, so some people like to use them online for that reason.

Not all online merchants will take them though. Some require that a card have both a billing address and a shipping address that are identical. This is because they are trying to reduce credit card fraud online.

I use Paypal whenever possible, but you need at least one bank account to have a Paypal account, and I am not sure what the age limit is on using Paypal either. Best of luck.

Whoever said freezing a fish is a humane method of euthanasia, I completely disagree. Clove oil is humane, and if you are able to do it quickly, some think beheading is humane, though they say you should pith the brain immediately afterward to be sure the fish feels nothing, since the brain does not die instantly. But freezing is considered cruel now. It was once thought to be ok, but not any more.

If you must euthanize a fish, get clove oil to do it.
Yes, thanks so much. My tank is overstocked, that is true, and I feel horrible about not knowing my ammonia. My male guppy actually got nipped by the zebras about a week ago, and now has another, before that one healed. If this continues, I think I'll get rid of the zebras, and maybe focus on guppies.
__________________

__________________
Who doesn't love the little guys?
Frostshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
guppies, night, plants

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium librarygirl Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 32 03-20-2013 11:50 AM
Latest on Terraphyte Tank BBradbury Show Off/Photography 9 07-28-2012 08:27 PM
Do Plants Need Total Darkness at Night? StevesPrettyCool Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 6 10-17-2011 04:20 PM
Plants and guppies Dusty280 Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 7 08-22-2011 03:50 PM
A primer on un-filtered aquariums BlackMagic Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 1 08-07-2011 07:25 PM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.