One of my Mickey Butts is flashing me!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kari

Aquarium Advice Activist
I thought that was a snappy title :lol: I have several mickey mouse platies that are pooping white, stringy stuff. I know that isn't normal, and I have others in the tank that aren't doing that. One of the ones that IS doing that is also flashing, and scratching against the aquarium gravel on the bottom of the tank. I'm intending to feed them peas today, soaked with KanaPlex, but I don't know if that's the right treatment. KanaPlex is for fungal and bacterial infection, so I don't know that it would do anything about parasite's. I'd love some help on this one though. I'd hate to lose anymore fish, I've lost so many already :cry:

I have a couple new questions. I've been researching meds for internal parasites. I've looked on the net and called a couple pet/aquarium shops. I've gotten a couple names of some meds that I'd like to ask HERE about. Prazi Pro is one of them. Ultra Cure PX by Gel Tek is another. If you're reading this, and you've used either of those, or you know of someone who's used them, please let me know your opinions of them! I'm going to Indy tonight, and I won't be going there again for a couple weeks. Which means I won't be able to get anything for a couple more weeks, so I'd love to hear back from you this afternoon if possible!

Also...can internal parasites cause clamped fins? Or is that a secondary reaction, possibly?

Hi Kari,
Lucky you...going to Indy tonight! I'm almost wishing away my summer until September, when we are going! I love Indy! :lol:

Ok, back on topic...As far as I know, the white, stringy poop means internal parasites. If you've had these fish for awhile, and didn't introduce any others, it's possible for the parasites to be "dormant" for awhile before affecting the fish. I had a betta for a little over a year, that was perfectly fine the whole time, until about a week before he died. His symptoms pointed to parasites. Of course, it's also possible for the fish to show symptoms immediately, as it seems to be in your case. I think the clamped fins could be a sign of the parasites. Clamped fins mean, in general, that the fish is stressed.

For treatment, I would not use the Kanaplex, either in the water or fed to the fish. Now if the parasites cause a secondary infection, like some red patches or streaks, then I would use the Kanaplex, but that wouldn't be my first choice of med. I would use a parasite med first.

I would try metronidazole or PraziPro sounds good too. I haven't used either one, but I have some metronidazole on hand if needed.

Did you say you bought the Jungle Pepso food also? Try making it as small as their regular food, and they may accept it.

I tried Jungle's Anti-parasite food, but even though I ground it up in much smaller pieces, there were still too many of them that wouldn't eat it.

wait a sec though...is Jungle's Pepso food the same thing as the anti-parasite food, or that a different one?

Yeah, that's the one I have, the anti-parasite. I hadn't realized they were different. Maybe pepso food is smaller or something? I DID go ahead and get the Ultra Cure PX though, because I hadn't heard anything from anyone here at the time, and the guy that I talked to that runs an aquarium/fish store said that's the best in his opinion. I actually ended up ordering it, so when it gets here, and I've had a chance to see how it's working (or NOT working) I'll let you know.

Ton confirm, this sounds like an internal parasite or bacteria. Watch for signs of dropsy and/or pop-eye!!!!

Another sign, as mentioned, is red streaking in the fins, and is probably seen during the end stages.

The clamped fins is also a fairly serious sign as it may be the final stages of the infection/infestation. My experience is in goldfish, but from what I know, when a fish clamps its fins, it will often become lythargic, laying on the bottom, as if just ready to die (not good!!!!). I've seen a fish with clamped fins, however, pull out just fine.

Thank God I already have meds for dropsy and pop-eye on hand! The 2 platies that seem to have somewhat clamped fins have been that way since I got them, and it's been at least a month on one, and a couple months on the other. They seem pretty active, I never see them just sitting on the bottom. I HAVE seen one of them scratching against the bottom, and flashing. I hope the pull out of it, I really like them, they're pretty cute.

I also had noticed something else yesterday, I don't know why my brain didn't make the connection sooner. My male bettas have all shown secondary type illnesses, and I couldn't figure out why. I also couldn't figure out all these clear/white strands in the water, or hanging off of them. That's the poo and they must have the internal parasites as well. Looks like this med in particular is probably the one I've needed all along. It also looks like I need to be more careful about not spreading illnesses between the tanks/bowls.

Back
Top Bottom