Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-12-2020, 04:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Unhappy One of my Zebra danio died after major water change

I didn’t realize changing much of the water could kill a zebra danio. The female died. And the male seems to behave normally. I hope he won’t die later. I only had them for a few months. I’m really saddened by this.

I have 4 baby fries in my separate 5 gallon tank. It’s a new tank so it’s not completely cycled. I added an old decoration and it’s relatively small. And the tank had bacterial bloom. How much should I feed them life spectrum grow fry starter? Is it possible to overfeed?

Old 09-12-2020, 05:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

It could've been the uncycled tank, or the abrupt change in nitrates and ph in the new tank. Had you ever done a water change there before. Unlikely it was just a water change. Did you use conditioner?
Old 09-12-2020, 05:04 PM   #3

The adults had been in a separate 1 g tank for a while. I had moved them to keep them away from the fries. I just did a water change on them today but not the 10 gallon with the fries. I was using the gravel cleaner and vacuumed too much water and ended up replacing with completely new water. And I added a conditioner.

The male was fine but kept following. The female zebra danio started hanging vertically in the middle of the tank after the change. And minutes later ramming into the gravel and sides of the tank and then lied on the ground with her fins fluttering pretty bad.
Old 09-12-2020, 05:08 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

There's a thing called "old tank syndrome " where your fish get slowly acclimated to high levels of nitrate in the water. If you don't change at least 25% monthly or more (not saying you don't) but when a change is done the abrupt change in water chemistry, even to the good, will cause fish to occasionally die
Old 09-12-2020, 05:09 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't know the answer to your feeding fry question, but I do know that you can overfeed them and foul up the water
Old 09-12-2020, 05:10 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

And don't forget to add dechlorinator to your new water going in if your on a municipal water system
Old 09-12-2020, 06:21 PM   #7

it hasn’t been a month since i last did a water change. i think its the abrupt change in ph. and possibly the metals.

I checked her again and she is bleeding from the gills. Soo maybe it could be ammonia? I just read that ammonia can come from tap water as well. I did notice that her gills were pink at times.
Old 09-12-2020, 06:45 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, and some tap also has higher than normal levels of nitrates and chlorimines
Old 09-12-2020, 07:13 PM   #9

I guess I learned it the hard way.
Old 09-12-2020, 07:31 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Same here
Old 09-13-2020, 02:33 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Precisely why I switched to rain water a few years back. Too many unknowns.

Tags
water change, zebra danio, water, zebra, danio, ate, change, died, die

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com