One of the new female bettas ate one of the ghost shrimp!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Christmasfish

Aquarium Advice Addict
She didn't harrass it to death like my boy's big red did to his.
She ATE it! only his head was left when the dust (one of the hornworts has kicked the bucket) settled! I caught the tail end of this crustacean tradgedy. She was sucking down the last gobbet of flesh. I hope she won't catch something! I have been feeding her lightly so there are no spikes in the tank for adding more fish. Could she have been TAHT hungry?!
I don't remember Bettas eating large things. And most of these sure are suspicious of large flakes or bloodworms (all but one are off all-flake diets now! hooray).
Do you think maybe she was originally just attacking it and then thought to herself "Mmmmm! Tastes like chicken!"?
She still is like a different color every hour (blue-brown, tiger striped, ,flesh with salmon-like markings, bright deep royal and plain blue. And she has a cat pupil unlike the other two.)

These new millinium Bettas are nothing like the animals my grandfather had. They do a lot of odd things. And are definitely not as uniform looking.
The tank mate to the gourami is the same size as she is. She IS a dwarf gourami tho.
I am trying to get some good pictures. The digital is not quite doing the job, I need to dust off the 35mm

Anyway, should I mark this action as aggressive in the highest form, or that shrimp are on her menu and shouldn't share space unless they are BIG with lots more hiding places.........?

I've heard of bettas eating ghost shrimp before. Now that shes got a tast for them i wouldn't put her back with anymore. Maybe she was just bord or curious and wondered what it tasted like? bettas are funny fish, there also really intresting cus they each have their own little (or big!) personalities

ashley

heh, it sure surprised me, It took me a month to get our original 3 bettas to eat something other than flake. ^.^ And she will eat anything her eye sets on.
As long as it doesn't make her sick, i guess it's okay. poor little guy.
She is a real hood rat and will be in single quarters. The other female is settling some. Female #3 is pretty docile with non-bettas. Every once in a while the gourami ghosting and touching her with feelers, annoys her and she'll stiffen up and do a tail swat for personal space.

My betta killed and ate two ghost shrimp and sent the other one to suicide, but my betta was fine and I fed him a good amount. So i dunno

Dumb Shrimp

Heh! She did again and this time we caught the whole grusome process.A foolish shrimp had bypassed the divider to her side for floor pickings.
She played with like a dog playing chase and tug, then ground it into the floor and chomped away. 6 bites and it was gone! Except his head.
This was a big one, half her body size! Her belly was a white ball. And she had just eaten, too. She must really like shrimp. She eats the littler snails too.
Greedy beast.

Shrimp ARE delicious, although I prefer mine lightly sauteed with butter and garlic ;)

Back
Top Bottom