One or Two Female Gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kayleyface

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55gallon with a school of danio, a school of Boesmanis, a pair of blue rams, and a small school of cories. I also had a bonded pair of Pearl Gouramis till recently.

The female recently got ich and the male, who never had before, started picking her. I moved her to a quarantine tank, but she didn't make it.

Once I'm positive my main tank is completely free of disease, I would like to replace her, since the male has shown that under normal circumstances he can get along with a female nicely. One of my lfs also has some really nice adult female pearl gourami, so I could even get one his size.

What I would like to know, is if I should get a single female, or two? I've heard that gouramis do well in trios. I've also heard that's not true? Every gourami I've ever kept has been fine in a male/female pair, but if a trio would be better, I'd like to consider that option.

Well, generally they do very well in trios. Are you able to get more than 1 that is his size? If you have the space and have that option, I would do it. I will not necessarily say your fish will do better than they would in a pair, but they will do well and you should see fun behavior. If it doesn't work out (fish are individuals after all, and some are extra aggressive or extra meek) you can always re-home the spare. :) If you can only only get 1 at the same size I would stick with one.

I do have access to two of his size, conveniently. I was pleased to see my lfs with adults as opposed to juvenilles for once.

Once I'm sure it's safe to do so, I'll have to pick them up.

He thoughts!

Fabulous! I love being able to sometimes get fish with a bit of size on them already. It makes life a lot easier when dealing with territorial type fish.

I have 3 pearls, a male and 2 females. They do well and often hang out together. I got mine together from same tank at the store. I've never added them at different times, but I would try it. I'd be interested to know how it goes.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Pearl males like many females. I have 1 male and 3 females. Aggression is pretty much non existent. As it should be.

Females can also pic on each other if sizes vary a lot.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Gourami (like bettas) do not do joint parenting. Once the female lays the eggs, the male usually will shoo her away to guard the brood by himself. There should be no additional aggression by having 2 females versus 1.

Like the above poster said, gouramis do not pair up like some fish do, that is why they are often suggested in trios. So, with fish like this it is not matter of a pair forming and then picking on the spare.

The poor gourami that died seems to be the only one who had ich. The tanks been free and clear for over a week now, so I picked up two new female pearls.

They're gorgeous and definitely already full grown. The male seems semi-interested in them, but is generally more interested in hanging out in his own territory. The two females are inseparable though and no nipping/aggression thus far.

My camera is in hiding somewhere, so here's some rather poor quality pics with my phone's camera.

The first time I left the house and came back after I got the two females, one of the female's feelers and fins was torn up. I imagine the male was the culprit, but I'm not totally sure. But it's been almost two weeks, give or take, since that happened, and the fin's healing, and there's been no even remote signs of aggression, so hopefully I'm in the clear.

Attachments

• IMG_20141010_140859_247.jpg
    IMG_20141010_140859_247.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_20141010_140944_203.jpg
    IMG_20141010_140944_203.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20141010_141041_968.jpg
    IMG_20141010_141041_968.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20141010_141058_670.jpg
    IMG_20141010_141058_670.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 76
Hopefully all will be good. They sure are pretty!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom