One Smart Neon!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fearlessfisch

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi, all,

I haven't posted here in awhile, but am so proud of one of my neons today that I had to share this story. As I posted a while back, I built an aquabridge to use between two 29-gallon tanks.
(https://www.aquariumadvice.com/foru...e-discovered-by-gourami-and-betta-372421.html

Since then, I've used it as an IQ test of sorts for my fish. Only the smarter fish figure out how to use it, and so far that has meant bettas and gouramis. In the year it has been there, none of my tetras or corydoras has ever figured out how to use it. ...Until now!

I keep neons in only one of the tanks connected by the bridge, but I now have one neon tetra who uses the bridge! At first, I would find him in the other tank and end up using the net to catch him and put him back with his shoal. He kept finding his way back, though, so I started leaving him in the other tank for progressively longer periods of time, figuring that he must want to visit over there.

This week, for the first time, I found him back with his shoal without my putting him there! He has now passed back and forth a few times by himself. I wonder if the others notice and what they think of his disappearances. I hope they will follow him one of these times.

Anyway, I'm proud of my smart neon. :)

Back
Top Bottom