Ongoing issue with diatom algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emmahardy92

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello Everyone,

Hoping someone can advise!

I've been having a ongoing issue with diatom algae now. going on 3month plus. Its a cardinal shrimp tank with blue bolts, running for around 7-8 months now. I have around 40 blue bolts in there at the moment. Its a 30 litre tank and I use RO water with Salty Shrimp KH+ dosed to the right parameters. I have a lot of moss in there which seems to be growing but as soon as the BA comes back its stunting its growth.

I've tried doing small water changes, physically removing the BA (Brown Algae) but it keeps returning. I've been considering getting a UV filter to help but I am not sure if it is worth it?

Because my blue bolts are quite sensitive I'm hesitant to add any chemical/treatments

Water parameters below

PH - 6.6
AM - 0
NI - 0
NA - 0
GH - 4-5
KH - 0-1
TDS - 140-150

Am I missing something?

Water parameters in photos

Attachments

• TANK.jpg
    TANK.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 47
  • TANK1.jpg
    TANK1.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 47
You could try upping the light period. Plants and green algae will outcompete the brown algae. Green algae is easier to deal with.

Something to eat the brown algae. Maybe a nerite snail.

I agree... Nerite snails love brown algae
I recently put a couple in my tank and they pretty well cleaned it up..

Also, increasing the light a bit as stated will help.
Just be careful that you do not increase the light too much or you will have a green algae problem. .

Back
Top Bottom