Online site that can help you determine how much fish you can have in your tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yhbae

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys,

Ok, so I admit I had too much time in my hands recently... :)

I spent some time developing a site that allows people to determine how much fish you can have for your tanks of specific dimensions. This does not use simple rules such as "inches per gallon". If you are into this sort of thing, you are welcome to try it out.

I have more than 7 tanks and at least for my own setups, it seems to be reporting ok...

www.aqadvisor.com

This is still work in progress, and I expect further work to follow. If you have any suggestions, please post them here!

Eh.. it's ok. For some odd reason it thinks my spotted raphael's should not be in a tank only 13" tall, forget about the footprint of the tank. It only seems to have fish available at Petsmart as well.

Interesting to play around with though.

Eh.. it's ok. For some odd reason it thinks my spotted raphael's should not be in a tank only 13" tall, forget about the footprint of the tank. It only seems to have fish available at Petsmart as well.

Interesting to play around with though.

Hi there,

Thanks for trying it out... I just checked DB, and minimum tank height for Raphael was set to 18' which is probably not right. I changed it to 12' and this will be reflected in the next release.

I hope it already has more fishes than it is available in Petsmart... ;) Nevertheless, it is expanding each week.

Hi there,

Thanks for trying it out... I just checked DB, and minimum tank height for Raphael was set to 18' which is probably not right. I changed it to 12' and this will be reflected in the next release.

I hope it already has more fishes than it is available in Petsmart... ;) Nevertheless, it is expanding each week.

Ah ok.. not bad.. didn't realize you made it.. that's what I get for skimming.

I have odd sized aquariums designed for bottom dwellers so I'm sure I'm an exception. I did have to try really hard to think of fish to try out as the spotted raphael is the only one I own or have owned that was listed.

Ah ok.. not bad.. didn't realize you made it.. that's what I get for skimming.

I have odd sized aquariums designed for bottom dwellers so I'm sure I'm an exception. I did have to try really hard to think of fish to try out as the spotted raphael is the only one I own or have owned that was listed.

That's good... The idea behind programs like this is to collect as much knowledge as possible. Program will simply leverage them so more I have them (and more accurate they are), more sensible numbers and suggestions it will report to you. As I said, this is still work in progress, so I do expect it to improve over time. I spent a good deal of my own spare time developing it during the past few months, so I hope it will become useful for some people eventually....

Sounds like your on the right path.. it could be useful to a novice keeper, keep it up :)

This is a cool idea. It's a lot better than the inch per gallon rule. I agree with Fishmonkey, I can see this getting somewhere. It'll be a great help to people new to the hobby.

Very cool. I love how you have almost every type, and all the types of filters. And it is DEFINATELY better then the inch per gallon rule.... Kudos for putting together an informative and fun site!!!
Keep us all updated, we'll be your biggest visitors!!

It's a really good start. I think it's a tad conservative, particularly the filter sizing. I have a few suggestions:

- Set the filter capacity to the middle of the range.
- Lower the impact of snails. I set my 29g with a Penguin 300B to have 300 MTS by themselves and it says I'm 255% stocked
- Is it possible to make the list not go to the top when you add something to the tank?
- Add plants to the list and have them contribute to the filtering.

I must say I'm really impressed with your list of fish and equipment. Keep up the good work.

P.S. Mods, any chance of making this a sticky at the top of the FW forums?

I think it's a tad conservative, particularly the filter sizing.

Being conservative was intentional. Better be safe than sorry... :cool:

- Set the filter capacity to the middle of the range.
- Lower the impact of snails. I set my 29g with a Penguin 300B to have 300 MTS by themselves and it says I'm 255% stocked

I actually went through few rounds of downwards adjustments for snails but looks like I need to go further into this. Will look into it.

- Is it possible to make the list not go to the top when you add something to the tank?

Currently, each button click submits a new request to the server which causes the page to be re-drawn, hence this behavior. It might be possible to do it the way you suggest but I'm no expert in PHP, so I'll have to look further into it. It has been added to the wishlist for now.

- Add plants to the list and have them contribute to the filtering.

Yup got this suggestion before so its already on the wishlist. Not sure what is the best way to implement this though. Just simply let users select No/Light/Medium/Heavily planted setup?

I must say I'm really impressed with your list of fish and equipment. Keep up the good work.

Thanks! :D

New features:

- Updated algorithm to calculate filtration capacity.
- Will auto-fill tank dimensions if user selects one of the pre-determined tanks.
- Help texts have been added for "Filter Selection", "Narrow Search" and "Search String" features.
- Fixed a bug - "Narrow Search" was only searching from common names, ingoring scientific names.
- Added Aqua-Tech filters.
- Added Fluval U3 filter.
- Added Ruby Shark.
- Added African Knifefish.
- Added Banjo Catfish.
- Added Hoplosternum.
- Added Senegal Bichir.
- Added Checkered/Checker Barb.
- Added Bumble Bee/Hornet Cichlid.
- Added Dragon Goby.
- Added African Dwarf Frog.
- Added Head and Tail Light Tetra.
- Fine tuned attributes for RTB/Rainbow/Ruby sharks based on their aggression.
- Bioloads of snails have been adjusted downwards. Received quite a few comments with respect to this.
- Different species of Julidochromis have been marked as incompatible due to interbreeding possibilities.
- Attribute for Bleeding Heart Tetra has been updated.
- Bioload of Khuli Loach has been adjusted downwards.
- Apistogramma agassizii and Julidochromis species have been marked as territorial between themselves. If the tank is not large enough, a warning will be displayed.
- Total number of species in DB has been increased to 272.

Please check out www.aqadvisor.com

i was just playing with it and i still got way overstocked with 100 malaysian snails. also i did not see the american/florida flag fish (Jordanella floridae) in the list.
one more thing is that Aquarium Advice is not first on the recommended sites list.:silly:

Keep in mind Dragon Gobies are brackish water fish, this should be designated. Also, are you going to have a fact sheet on the fish?

Looking good.

i was just playing with it and i still got way overstocked with 100 malaysian snails. also i did not see the american/florida flag fish (Jordanella floridae) in the list.
one more thing is that Aquarium Advice is not first on the recommended sites list.:silly:

Hmm I'll have to look further into MTS... How did I miss the flag fish... I'll add it for sure for the next release. :D

As for the order of the site, last != worst. :D

Keep in mind Dragon Gobies are brackish water fish, this should be designated. Also, are you going to have a fact sheet on the fish?

Looking good.

Ack, so I may need to create another colume for the type of water they are supposed to be in. One day I may do salt water too, so that makes it frech, brackish or marine. Or even combination of them for those that can manage it.

I could look into the fact sheet thingy. I'll keep a note of it. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom