Opaline Gourami...Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EdgarMedina1010

Aquarium Advice Freak
How big do they get? i've only heard that they get 4"+ and is it safe to keep them in a 20 gal. tank? ..and when they get to 4-5" will they eat smaller fish?...cause I have them with a school of neons...

Well, my 'little' girl is nearing 5" and I have her in a 29 gallon tank. I would only consider keeping one in a 20 if it was a 20 long (same length as my 29, just shorter). Otherwise, if it's a 20 high.....they really would need a longer tank. My opaline, Dot, is the largest fish in my 29 and she was tiny (2" or so) when we bought her. They are GORGEOUS fish. HTH

They do get to be anywhere from 4-5". They can be aggressive to their own as well so more space is better for that reason as well.

EdgarMedina1010....

The answer to your question is a qualified 'yes'. Blue Gouramis (Trichogaster trichopteris) of which the Opaline Gourami is just a color variant, will eat smaller fish but your Neon Tetras are probably big enough to be safe (unless they're very small Neons). The gourami doesn't have a very big mouth for the size of the fish and the Neons are reasonably fast. I've kept Opaline Gouramis with fairly small Brilliant Rasboras (Rasbora borapetensis) without any problems.

-Joe

Fruitbat said:
EdgarMedina1010....

The answer to your question is a qualified 'yes'. Blue Gouramis (Trichogaster trichopteris) of which the Opaline Gourami is just a color variant, will eat smaller fish but your Neon Tetras are probably big enough to be safe (unless they're very small Neons). The gourami doesn't have a very big mouth for the size of the fish and the Neons are reasonably fast. I've kept Opaline Gouramis with fairly small Brilliant Rasboras (Rasbora borapetensis) without any problems.

-Joe
yeah my neons are at least 1"+ and the opaline gourami is barely 2" so maybe by the time he gets big, my neons will be fully grown...thanks a lot!

yeah i've been watching it for a while and he doesnt seem interested in them...so yeah maybe It should be fine...thanks for the replies

Back
Top Bottom