Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 08-25-2013, 02:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Kristian Tombs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 379
Opaline Gourami Temperment? Male vs Female.

I know males can be aggressive but I was wondering whether females are aggressive. I have two female pearl gourami and they are so peaceful.
__________________

__________________
Kristian Tombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:46 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Rivercats's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 13,146
I've found over the years that Pearl gourami's in general seem to have milder temperaments even males. But there are always exceptions to that. In Opaline's I've found that some females can be equally aggressive. Gourami's are like Betta's in the respect that each one, male and female, have different temperaments so you never know for sure. In general males seen to tend to be more aggressive but I've seen some awefully aggressive females in my day.
__________________

__________________
Rivercats 220g planted tank
Rivercats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Goldfish loach boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,167
Pearl gouramis IME are not that agressive They are one if the fish that are big but they are not that aggressive, opaline's in the other hand I have found to be pretty aggressive
__________________
Goldfish loach boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:03 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Rivercats's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 13,146
Really? How many have you kept in your 29g?
__________________
Rivercats 220g planted tank
Rivercats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Kristian Tombs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercats View Post
I've found over the years that Pearl gourami's in general seem to have milder temperaments even males. But there are always exceptions to that. In Opaline's I've found that some females can be equally aggressive. Gourami's are like Betta's in the respect that each one, male and female, have different temperaments so you never know for sure. In general males seen to tend to be more aggressive but I've seen some awefully aggressive females in my day.
Can anyone recommend a gourami that is larger than a pearl gourami but isn't that aggressive. I will only have one of them. But I will buy whatever you guys recommend. Atm I have three sparkling gourami and two pearl. I love gourami
__________________
Kristian Tombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:54 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Goldfish loach boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,167
Pearls are the biggest, most docile gourami you'll find
__________________
Goldfish loach boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:55 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Goldfish loach boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercats View Post
Really? How many have you kept in your 29g?
Hah no, I also have a 55 gallon and used to have a 75, the largest gourami I've kept in my 29 is the dwarf
__________________
Goldfish loach boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:56 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
cgthebeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: In a house
Posts: 3,085
Kissing are the biggest peaceful onesactually. Reaching sized up to a foot. I believe they are peaceful but I am not sure on that haha
__________________
36 gallon fresh water

10g saltwater
cgthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:06 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Kristian Tombs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgthebeast View Post
Kissing are the biggest peaceful onesactually. Reaching sized up to a foot. I believe they are peaceful but I am not sure on that haha
My plan was to get three sparkling gourami two pearls and one opaline. Turns out that even a female will cause too much stress and damage. Guys can anyone give me another type of Gourami. I was thinking off getting some croaking gourami
__________________
Kristian Tombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
azmodan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 2,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristian Tombs View Post

My plan was to get three sparkling gourami two pearls and one opaline. Turns out that even a female will cause too much stress and damage. Guys can anyone give me another type of Gourami. I was thinking off getting some croaking gourami
What sized tank? It's generally recommended to not keep many gourami together as they can be very aggressive toward each other.
__________________
azmodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:16 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Kristian Tombs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by azmodan View Post

What sized tank? It's generally recommended to not keep many gourami together as they can be very aggressive toward each other.
10 gallons atm. Soon upgrading to over 30 gallons.
__________________
Kristian Tombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:17 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Kristian Tombs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by azmodan View Post

What sized tank? It's generally recommended to not keep many gourami together as they can be very aggressive toward each other.
Will 3 sparkling gourami and 2 pearl gourami be okay together? They seem fine atm. All 5 of them are females and they are the only fish in the tank.
__________________
Kristian Tombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:18 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
cgthebeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: In a house
Posts: 3,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristian Tombs View Post

10 gallons atm. Soon upgrading to over 30 gallons.
That won't work for that many, not even in a 30. I would go with Pygmy, croaking, chocolate or honey for the 10 at the moment
__________________
36 gallon fresh water

10g saltwater
cgthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:27 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Kristian Tombs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgthebeast View Post

That won't work for that many, not even in a 30. I would go with Pygmy, croaking, chocolate or honey for the 10 at the moment
Are u kidding me? The sparkles are an inch and a half each because they are female the pearls are about 3 and a half inches because they are female. That's ten inches and ur telling me those five wont be okey in a thirty gallon?
__________________
Kristian Tombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:51 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
cgthebeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: In a house
Posts: 3,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristian Tombs View Post

Are u kidding me? The sparkles are an inch and a half each because they are female the pearls are about 3 and a half inches because they are female. That's ten inches and ur telling me those five wont be okey in a thirty gallon?
Oh, I am so sorry. I got my info confused. I misread is all. That should work fine. Haha my bad
__________________
36 gallon fresh water

10g saltwater
cgthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:58 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Rivercats's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 13,146
No the sparkling gourami's won't work. They are exceeding small, nano fish and they will hide, be outcompeted for food, and will perish. If you want sparkling gourami's then I suggest looking into getting all nano fish. I am currently running a 55g planted nano fish tank with Chili Rasbora's, Clown Killifish, Burmese Rosey Loaches, Scarlet Badis, and Aspidoras (a small cousin in the cory cat family). There are many other nano fish such as all the dwarf pencilfish (purple pencilfish are incredibly colored),Pygmy Multi Striped loaches, Ember tetra's, and a lot more.
__________________
Rivercats 220g planted tank
Rivercats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:00 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Kristian Tombs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgthebeast View Post

Oh, I am so sorry. I got my info confused. I misread is all. That should work fine. Haha my bad
I see the inch per gallon rule as a rough outline not a strict rule. You can't have have a 10 inch Oscar in a 10 gallon. But you can have more than 5 2 inch guppies in a 10 gallon
__________________
Kristian Tombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:07 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Kristian Tombs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercats View Post
No the sparkling gourami's won't work. They are exceeding small, nano fish and they will hide, be outcompeted for food, and will perish. If you want sparkling gourami's then I suggest looking into getting all nano fish. I am currently running a 55g planted nano fish tank with Chili Rasbora's, Clown Killifish, Burmese Rosey Loaches, Scarlet Badis, and Aspidoras (a small cousin in the cory cat family). There are many other nano fish such as all the dwarf pencilfish (purple pencilfish are incredibly colored),Pygmy Multi Striped loaches, Ember tetra's, and a lot more.
Surely there are a few sparkling gourami they will be fine?
__________________
Kristian Tombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:40 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Goldfish loach boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,167
It's 30 gallons for one type of gourami, pearl is the biggest you can go
__________________
Goldfish loach boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:26 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Rivercats's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 13,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristian Tombs View Post
Surely there are a few sparkling gourami they will be fine?
No they won't. Do you realize how small they are and they need special food. You couldn't feed them with larger fish. Have you researched them? They are not community fish. I've been in the hobby for over 30 years and nano fish and other delicate species don't belong in community tanks.
__________________

__________________
Rivercats 220g planted tank
Rivercats is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.