Opaline Gourami Temperment? Male vs Female.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kristian Tombs

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know males can be aggressive but I was wondering whether females are aggressive. I have two female pearl gourami and they are so peaceful.

I've found over the years that Pearl gourami's in general seem to have milder temperaments even males. But there are always exceptions to that. In Opaline's I've found that some females can be equally aggressive. Gourami's are like Betta's in the respect that each one, male and female, have different temperaments so you never know for sure. In general males seen to tend to be more aggressive but I've seen some awefully aggressive females in my day.

Pearl gouramis IME are not that agressive They are one if the fish that are big but they are not that aggressive, opaline's in the other hand I have found to be pretty aggressive

I've found over the years that Pearl gourami's in general seem to have milder temperaments even males. But there are always exceptions to that. In Opaline's I've found that some females can be equally aggressive. Gourami's are like Betta's in the respect that each one, male and female, have different temperaments so you never know for sure. In general males seen to tend to be more aggressive but I've seen some awefully aggressive females in my day.

Can anyone recommend a gourami that is larger than a pearl gourami but isn't that aggressive. I will only have one of them. But I will buy whatever you guys recommend. Atm I have three sparkling gourami and two pearl. I love gourami

Kissing are the biggest peaceful onesactually. Reaching sized up to a foot. I believe they are peaceful but I am not sure on that haha

Kissing are the biggest peaceful onesactually. Reaching sized up to a foot. I believe they are peaceful but I am not sure on that haha

My plan was to get three sparkling gourami two pearls and one opaline. Turns out that even a female will cause too much stress and damage. Guys can anyone give me another type of Gourami. I was thinking off getting some croaking gourami

My plan was to get three sparkling gourami two pearls and one opaline. Turns out that even a female will cause too much stress and damage. Guys can anyone give me another type of Gourami. I was thinking off getting some croaking gourami

What sized tank? It's generally recommended to not keep many gourami together as they can be very aggressive toward each other.

What sized tank? It's generally recommended to not keep many gourami together as they can be very aggressive toward each other.

Will 3 sparkling gourami and 2 pearl gourami be okay together? They seem fine atm. All 5 of them are females and they are the only fish in the tank.

That won't work for that many, not even in a 30. I would go with Pygmy, croaking, chocolate or honey for the 10 at the moment

Are u kidding me? The sparkles are an inch and a half each because they are female the pearls are about 3 and a half inches because they are female. That's ten inches and ur telling me those five wont be okey in a thirty gallon?

Are u kidding me? The sparkles are an inch and a half each because they are female the pearls are about 3 and a half inches because they are female. That's ten inches and ur telling me those five wont be okey in a thirty gallon?

Oh, I am so sorry. I got my info confused. I misread is all. That should work fine. Haha my bad

No the sparkling gourami's won't work. They are exceeding small, nano fish and they will hide, be outcompeted for food, and will perish. If you want sparkling gourami's then I suggest looking into getting all nano fish. I am currently running a 55g planted nano fish tank with Chili Rasbora's, Clown Killifish, Burmese Rosey Loaches, Scarlet Badis, and Aspidoras (a small cousin in the cory cat family). There are many other nano fish such as all the dwarf pencilfish (purple pencilfish are incredibly colored),Pygmy Multi Striped loaches, Ember tetra's, and a lot more.

Oh, I am so sorry. I got my info confused. I misread is all. That should work fine. Haha my bad

I see the inch per gallon rule as a rough outline not a strict rule. You can't have have a 10 inch Oscar in a 10 gallon. But you can have more than 5 2 inch guppies in a 10 gallon

No the sparkling gourami's won't work. They are exceeding small, nano fish and they will hide, be outcompeted for food, and will perish. If you want sparkling gourami's then I suggest looking into getting all nano fish. I am currently running a 55g planted nano fish tank with Chili Rasbora's, Clown Killifish, Burmese Rosey Loaches, Scarlet Badis, and Aspidoras (a small cousin in the cory cat family). There are many other nano fish such as all the dwarf pencilfish (purple pencilfish are incredibly colored),Pygmy Multi Striped loaches, Ember tetra's, and a lot more.

Surely there are a few sparkling gourami they will be fine?

Surely there are a few sparkling gourami they will be fine?

No they won't. Do you realize how small they are and they need special food. You couldn't feed them with larger fish. Have you researched them? They are not community fish. I've been in the hobby for over 30 years and nano fish and other delicate species don't belong in community tanks.

Back
Top Bottom