Opaline Gouramis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Galligak

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey, I'm back! It feels as if it's been forever since I've been on here! I still have my 55 gallon tank that's still sitting around doing nothing but holding water, sand, a few rocks and a piece of driftwood. And now I'm rethinking the stocking...
I want to put my one opaline gourami in the tank. I still have the panda and peppered cories that I want to put in there.
What else could go with them? I'm not all sure what gets along with gouramis... Also could an angelfish go with them becuase my sister still wants one and I'd love to have one:)
Thank you so much!!!!

I've been reading online and it's been saying that it depends in the sex of the gourami... Does anyone know how to tell the difference? Here's a picture if it helps:

In my 55g tank I have angels, gouramis and rainbows. So far they are all getting along just fine. Just this morning I noticed one of the angels chasing another angel. The gouramis are very peaceful as are the rainbows. IMO I'd go for it.

Maltimomma said:
In my 55g tank I have angels, gouramis and rainbows. So far they are all getting along just fine. Just this morning I noticed one of the angels chasing another angel. The gouramis are very peaceful as are the rainbows. IMO I'd go for it.

Cool!!! Thanks for the information:)

I know this isn't the most helpful answer, but it depends on the fish. Honestly, angels and gouramis are pretty hit-or-miss IMO. I think it generally works out ok, but there are definitely times when it doesn't. However, you have a decently sized tank, and if you only have 1 of each species, it should hopefully work out well. :) Personally, I say go for it! A lot (not all) of the problems that arise between the 2 species are when people have a mated pair.
As for tankmates, there are dozens of pretty schoolers that would be awesome to go with both an angel and a gourami. :) Rummies, cardonals, black neons, kerri blue tetras, and Pristella tetras to name a few options. :)

Reactions: HN1
absolutangel04 said:
I know this isn't the most helpful answer, but it depends on the fish. Honestly, angels and gouramis are pretty hit-or-miss IMO. I think it generally works out ok, but there are definitely times when it doesn't. However, you have a decently sized tank, and if you only have 1 of each species, it should hopefully work out well. :) Personally, I say go for it! A lot (not all) of the problems that arise between the 2 species are when people have a mated pair.
As for tankmates, there are dozens of pretty schoolers that would be awesome to go with both an angel and a gourami. :) Rummies, cardonals, black neons, kerri blue tetras, and Pristella tetras to name a few options. :)

Yeah there's only going to be one of each. I just have been feeling really bad for the lone gourami, he/she's been with 2 goldfish and 1 ybt for at least a year... Thanks for the reassurance! I love the rummies but I'm still going to be looking around:D. :thanks:

Yeah, I know that not everybody had good experiences with rummies. Mine have been awesome and healthy and active, but some people definitely have problems with them. :)

There are seriously so many schoolers that could be options though. Let us know when you figure out what you like. :)

Okay I will. I really love the diamond tetras and will probably get some of them. I just love the way they sparkle and catch your eye:).

They are indeed lovely. :) I have never personally kept them before, so I don't really know anything about them, but they definitely look awesome.

Hey, good to see you back! :)

IDK how well opaline gourami and diamond tetras would do together. I have always heard diamond tetras are a bit too active for slow movers...at least, what I've heard.

bruinsbro1997 said:
Hey, good to see you back! :)

IDK how well opaline gourami and diamond tetras would do together. I have always heard diamond tetras are a bit too active for slow movers...at least, what I've heard.

Thanks! It's good to be back:)
The gouramis been around the goldfish and the active goldfish so I bet it'd be fine. I also like the look of the buenos aires and the Kerri tetras as well...

If he's been around goldies then I guess he'll be alright :)

Beunos aires tetras get MASSIVE and are fin nippers. I say no.

But kerris, YES! They are gorgeous! :)

bruinsbro1997 said:
If he's been around goldies then I guess he'll be alright :)

Beunos aires tetras get MASSIVE and are fin nippers. I say no.

But kerris, YES! They are gorgeous! :)

Okay, no buenos aires then! I'm going to hopefully go look around some pet stores soon and see what they have as well:)

Not red phantom. They can be nasty little things and you have to watch the gender ratios, but even then they still do not always play nice IME.
Emperors are awesome! I would love to have them, but I am out of space.

Back
Top Bottom