Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-04-2013, 04:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Operation tank swap

I'm swapping my fish from a 29gallon to a 56 gallon column tank. I want to post my plan of attack here for critique. I really want this to go smoothly and all my fish to survive, so please help!

I plan to empty my tank water into two rubbermaid tubs. I'll put all my fish in one of the tubs and float the biowheel of my current HOB in the water. I'll move the current tank and stand out and put the new tank and stand in it's place.

I'll add the gravel from the old tank into the new one and new gravel as well, because I won't have quite enough old gravel to fill the new one. Then I'll add the old water from the rubbermaid tub that does not contain my fish and fill the rest with new (treated) water. I'll also use the driftwood and some fake plants from the old tank.

I'll set up filtration with the new canister filter and also use the HOB from the old tank.

Make sure temps are pretty much the same and that everything is running properly.

Then add the fish back in by bagging them and floating them.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_little_tetra View Post
I'm swapping my fish from a 29gallon to a 56 gallon column tank. I want to post my plan of attack here for critique. I really want this to go smoothly and all my fish to survive, so please help!

I plan to empty my tank water into two rubbermaid tubs. I'll put all my fish in one of the tubs and float the biowheel of my current HOB in the water. I'll move the current tank and stand out and put the new tank and stand in it's place.

I'll add the gravel from the old tank into the new one and new gravel as well, because I won't have quite enough old gravel to fill the new one. Then I'll add the old water from the rubbermaid tub that does not contain my fish and fill the rest with new (treated) water. I'll also use the driftwood and some fake plants from the old tank.

I'll set up filtration with the new canister filter and also use the HOB from the old tank.

Make sure temps are pretty much the same and that everything is running properly.

Then add the fish back in by bagging them and floating them.

Sounds like a plan! Idk if the bagging and floating them will be necessary, if you keep the temp the same in both the rubbermaid and new tank, they should be ok I think.

Marimo Moss Ball ~ Anubias Nana ~ Echindorus Paniculatus
Chad2000k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad2000k View Post

Sounds like a plan! Idk if the bagging and floating them will be necessary, if you keep the temp the same in both the rubbermaid and new tank, they should be ok I think.
Second to that-- having done a similar operation a week ago, I can say that there's no need for bagging and floating. If you use some water from old tank and just top up with fresh, they'll be fine.
I did not use the extra containers also.
What I've done:
- took the decorations and plants out of the old tank,
- moved half of the water into the new tank,
- put the decorations and plants into the new tank,
- carefully moved the fishes from old tank straight into the new tank (the heated was already there, working) - no bagging nor floating,
- topped up the new tank with fresh, treated water.
I left the lights out for reminder of the day, just to be sure the fishes won't be stresses too much. So far no casualties, and even all the baby-guppies survived!
Old 05-04-2013, 09:38 PM   #4
Buu
Aquarium Advice Freak

We are doing the same this weekend! I wrote a thread a while back asking the same thing (if plan sounded good). Best of luck to you! Hope we both can upgrade as smoothly as possible and no body get hurt in the process!
Old 05-05-2013, 12:09 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yay! Thank you all so much! It will be a little bit before I do the swap. I have the tank, but I still need the canister filter and a new heater. I just wanted to be prepared and make sure I get/have all the supplies I need. I need to go buy some tubs! lol

Good luck to you too, Buu! Sounds like you may be doing your move before I do mine. Let me know how it goes!
Old 05-15-2013, 07:31 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Oh my word. I just completed operation tank swap and I am exhausted! So far all is well. The fish all seemed super stressed when I first put them in the new tank, but now they are coloring up and starting to act more normal. I'm keeping the lights out for now. Hopefully they all come around. I'll be very interested to see what my params are tomorrow!

So, the biggest pain in the boot part of the whole thing? Setting up the new canister filter! I only hope I did it right!
Old 05-16-2013, 10:06 AM   #7
Buu
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Oh my word. I just completed operation tank swap and I am exhausted! So far all is well. The fish all seemed super stressed when I first put them in the new tank, but now they are coloring up and starting to act more normal. I'm keeping the lights out for now. Hopefully they all come around. I'll be very interested to see what my params are tomorrow!

So, the biggest pain in the boot part of the whole thing? Setting up the new canister filter! I only hope I did it right!
Yay! Congrats! They'll love the new home. I'm glad everything went well! Oh the canisters seem so interesting, I've thought about one but they seem so complicated.

Things went pretty smooth with my upgrade too! Aside from accidentally pouring a little sweet tea in ugh. But Khulis are happier, so much more room! They seem so small now. And my plants look so bare too, need to get more! It's been about a week.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:23 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm glad yours are all doing well 1 week out! Mine already seem happier less than 24 hours from the swap. I can't wait to start getting some live plants in there. My fake plants are too short!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4231194195.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	173979   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-507735769.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	173980  

Old 05-17-2013, 07:42 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Glad your operation went so well Congrats!
Great pictures, so much room!
Old 05-18-2013, 05:25 PM   #10
Buu
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
I'm glad yours are all doing well 1 week out! Mine already seem happier less than 24 hours from the swap. I can't wait to start getting some live plants in there. My fake plants are too short!
Tank looks gorgeous! Loving the black sand! It makes plants pop so well. That's exactly what I've been doing, buying plants to fill in all the extra space. Have fun! Can't wait to see how your tank evolves, definitely post more pics!
Old 05-19-2013, 08:35 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks! I did my first vacuuming with the sand. People aren't kidding, it is quite easy! I just added an amazon sword and two java ferns. I'll have to get some pics up.
My Ammonia and trites are 0 and my trates are <5. Hoping this means I'm not in for a big cycling process!

Tags
swap, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com