Originally Posted by Chad2000k
Sounds like a plan! Idk if the bagging and floating them will be necessary, if you keep the temp the same in both the rubbermaid and new tank, they should be ok I think.
Second to that-- having done a similar operation a week ago, I can say that there's no need for bagging and floating. If you use some water from old tank and just top up with fresh, they'll be fine.
I did not use the extra containers also.
What I've done:
- took the decorations and plants out of the old tank,
- moved half of the water into the new tank,
- put the decorations and plants into the new tank,
- carefully moved the fishes from old tank straight into the new tank (the heated was already there, working) - no bagging nor floating,
- topped up the new tank with fresh, treated water.
I left the lights out for reminder of the day, just to be sure the fishes won't be stresses too much. So far no casualties, and even all the baby-guppies survived!