Opinions on stocking small fish in 25 gal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daven

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys. So unfortunately i took the measurements and calculated that the tank we thought was a 30 gallon is instead a 25 gallon. Not a huge deal since she just wants the small community fish and was a good price anyways, but it makes things a bit tighter since she wants different kinds of fish and id prefer to keep them happy in schools. So i keep hearing the gallon per inch rule doesnt work well, but is it still ok for the smaller and skinny fish like guppies? Or what do you guys use? Ill provide some info on the tank and fish she is considering if somebody with some better knowledge could let me know a general idea for the amount we can stock.

25 gal (30"wide x 12"deep x 16"high) - Aquaclear 200 HOB filter, heated to 80*F atm, and air driven undergravel filter atm

We have guppies and will probably have around 6 in the end. She seemed to like some smaller tetras, and rasboras caught her eye. Stuff like that that are usually like 1.5" long. She would like 2 corries and has her mind set on an African dwarf frog.

What about 6 serpae tetras, 6 corydoras of your choice, 6 red eye tetras, and maybe a DG?

Corydoras do better in larger groups of at least 5 as some of them don't get as large.

What about 6 serpae tetras, 6 corydoras of your choice, 6 red eye tetras, and maybe a DG?

Corydoras do better in larger groups of at least 5 as some of them don't get as large.

+1 for corys being in groups of 5 or more

Think of the stock like this 1-2 centrepiece or 6 guppies as you mentioned, 2 tetra/rasbora schools of 5-6 each and one cory school of 5-6. This is the absolute maximum I'd stock the tank with other ideas for centre piece fish being gouramis, rams, peacock gudgeons, although I suggest taking into consideration a fishes water temps as some corys do like lower water temps.

Davon,
I just read last night the dwarf frogs like buddies too,so maybe leave the guppies were they are or only pick one school . I know these choices are demanding but happy healthy fish and frogs live a lot longer than lonely crowded ones.wish you the best as you and your daughter move forward .

Thanks for the input! I know corries should be in schools, and will have 5-6 in my tank when i get that going. But we seen someone who had a couple and they were quite large compared to the guppies so she didnt want to take up that much space for other colourful fish. Would you guys say they wouldnt be happy with just a couple? Maybe she just shouldnt get any in that case.

How do dwarf gouramis do with other small schooling fish? I havent spent much time looking those up yet

EDIT: also, how do those little frogs come into the mix? They would just kinda count as a small guppy or so right?

So sorry Devon
Did not want to lay a gilt trip on you,I come here for entertainment and inspiration .
All I know about dwarf frogs is what I read on dr.Foster and Smith livaaqaurria.com.
I know there is better reference material out there but it is quick and easy for me and lays a basic foundation to start.

ADF Daven are much larger than guppies but as stated in the name they do stay relatively small at a size of 2-3 inches max but I could be wrong even though i have kept one before.

Sorry I forgot about the frog.

They do stay relatively small and I know people can keep them in small 5gallon tanks so yeah you could maybe cut down on the number of guppies. Dwarf gouramis are more top water fish and quite peaceful although males may be aggressive towards each other.

http://aqadvisor.com/ is a very helpful tool. Just punch in your dimensions and filtration and you'll be able to sort out fish stocking.

Also are you familiar with the nitrogen cycle? I often set the tank up and begin to cycle it while I decide on stock.

So sorry Devon
Did not want to lay a gilt trip on you,I come here for entertainment and inspiration .
All I know about dwarf frogs is what I read on dr.Foster and Smith livaaqaurria.com.
I know there is better reference material out there but it is quick and easy for me and lays a basic foundation to start.

No problem at all and never any harm taken from me! Im just looking for advice and any is appreciated!

ADF Daven are much larger than guppies but as stated in the name they do stay relatively small at a size of 2-3 inches max but I could be wrong even though i have kept one before.

My bad, i thought they had stayed smaller and she was the one who had researched them. So does anybody know how many would be ideal to keep in a 25gal tank? 30x12x16"high. And seeing as they are larger than the other fish, would they pose a threat or tend to be aggresive to the smaller fish with flowing fins?

You can do maybe 4-5 in a 25 and no they aren't aggressive but you may have to direct feed them as they have poor eye sight and may miss the food during feeding time

Back
Top Bottom