Opinions wanted: Rummy nose vs. Black neon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sawallace

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone, I am planning a bigger tank, and I was wondering if anyone had any opinions/pros/cons of Rummy nose or Black neon tetras.

I currently have 6 black neons, along with some black phantom tetras. The black neons don't really school very much, but I suppose it could be because of the black phantoms. I'll be giving my black phantoms to a friend, so I will not have to worry about them, but she will also take the black neons if I decide to go with the rummy nose.

I want to get 1 big school of fish along with my angels for my new 80 gallon and I'm torn between the two. On one hand, I prefer the appearance of the black neons, but I also prefer the schooling characteristic of the rummy nose. Any experiences with these two fish are welcomed.

I like the look of the rummy nose between them IMO. Why not get a few smaller schools, thats what I have and its more interesting to watch how each group acts than just one type of fish. Looks a lot more natural too.

I have had a school of about 15 rummynose tetras for about two years. They really look great in the tank. Here is a good article on the three types http://www.characin.com/carey/articles/98/three_rummynose.html. I do agree with Tony Starks, though. More than one school would look more natural. Also, with careful selection, you could get fish to occupy all levels of the tank. My rummys tend to keep to the bottom half of the tank.

They tend to be shy at first. If kept with more boisterous fish, you will need to be sure they are getting something to eat at feeding time.

Just my two cents. :fadein:

IMO you can't go wrong with either choice! I've never kept black neons but I do know that they are more hardy than rummies. If your tank is not very established this may be of some concern to you. Are you sure you prefer the appearance of the black neons? Just asking because the rummies really color up once you get them out of the LFS and they get used to their new environment. They will not show much color at all when stressed. I think a large school of them would look amazing, but of course in an 80 gallon tank (lucky you!) wouldn't you have room for quite a few of both species? BTW fishyrican is right about the rummies staying in the bottom half of the tank, mine do this as well. They prefer a planted (or fake planted) tank. :mrgreen:

Well, it appears the majority votes Rummy nose. Sounds good! I did not know they schooled near the bottom, I think it will look awesome if they "hug" my hairgrass lawn.

My tank will be planted with lots of branchy driftwood.

As far as the cycling goes, well.... I cannot really say it is cycled yet, I'm gonna set it up tomorrow with the same filter/substrate/plants as my 50 gallon (filter is an XP3 so I should be OK) + I will add Bio Spira + add some fast growing plants and a little more eco complete. (Maybe overkill, but why take chances). Are these fish really that delicate? it will only be them, some amano shrimp, a few otos and a couple of SAEs. Hopefully this isn't too much initially, what do y'all think?

Thanks for the advice!

Your tank will look awesome, and it sounds like a great setup for rummies. I'm still not sure you should add them until your tank is more established, but since you're moving your old XP3 to your new tank it may work out ok. I've set up new tanks this way many times and it has always worked out great. Try to save some of your old tankwater if you can, this will help a little too.
I noticed that you're keeping angels as well, how many do you have and how big are they? When you add your rummies make sure they are too big to fit in your angels' mouths or they may become expensive feeders! 8O How many do you plan to get? If I had a tank that size I would get about 20, they would look so amazing!

I won't be adding the angels initially, perhaps a few weeks down the road. I will be buying (unless advised against) 12 rummy nose to start out, then add a few more in months to come.

Back
Top Bottom