Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-15-2006, 12:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Opionions on cracked glass (amazing picture included)...

I recently purchased a 45 gallon aquarium setup used, and everything is beautiful. I am still cleaning it up. But I noticed today that the aquarium has a small crack at the top corner. It is ~ 2inches long, and goes diagonally from one seal to another.
Here is an artist's depiction

I think I may have caused it, as the seller seemed like a very honest guy, and I had contorted the tank a little bit to help water seep out when I got it home.

I was wondering if this crack will cause me any problems, and if so, if it could be fixed? It can't possibly get bigger, because it already meets two ends of the glass (ie. there's no more glass that can be cracked). Is the fact that it ends at two seals a good or bad thing?
Since it's at the top, I was thinking I could just fill it up to the crack, but I wasn't sure it that would be dangerous or not.
Any input is appreciated,
Thanks!

Old 04-15-2006, 12:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Wow. That was amazing.

If anyone ever wanted a crack in their aquarium, that is exactly where they would want it. At the top there is a lot less stress. You might even be all right to fill it above the cracked area. If you are worried you can put a little aquarium sealant or water-safe epoxy on the inside of the crack.

Old 04-15-2006, 03:06 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Agreed .... seal the crack with silicone, turn the tank so it is at the back & you are good to go!

If you want the crack fixed, you'll need to replace the entire pane of glass .... which I don't think is necessary in this case.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I agree on all counts.
Seal it and make it the back....and the picture is indeed amazing.

Fatz

90g SW FOWLR
50g tall fw planted at .6wpg
29g fw planted at 1.2 wpg
10g fw planted at 3 wpg cf
SCFatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 01:10 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Re: Opionions on cracked glass (amazing picture included)...

Haha, thanks a lot guys. It was too difficult to take a picture with my digital camera, so I used my MS Paint expertise
That makes me feel a lot better that the crack shouldn't be a problem. I put it in the back, you can hardly see it. I finished cleaning up the tank/gravel tonight and will try a test fill tomorrow - hopefully no leaks.
I'm super pumped about this setup - it's my first substantially sized tank, can't wait to get my guys in

Tags
crack, glass, picture

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com