Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: When do you add new fish?
Immediately after a water change 3 17.65%
One day after a water change 2 11.76%
Two or more days after a water change 2 11.76%
A few days prior to a water change 1 5.88%
Water changes are not considered 9 52.94%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-31-2006, 10:19 AM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Optimal acclimation time

Just wanted to see when members like to stock there tanks with new fish and if your maintenance schedule plays a part.

Old 03-31-2006, 10:39 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Water changes do not play a part in when we add fish. Normally we add them on Saturday (the only day that we can ever go fish shopping) and do water changes that night (the only day available to do them). Or if an occasional Sunday is open, we may switch days. But I've never considered water changes before when adding fish.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 10:53 AM   #3

i don't really consider water changes either... because my schedule is so hectic i don't really have a planned out water schedule anyway
Old 03-31-2006, 11:06 AM   #4
ace
Aquarium Advice Regular

I usually try to give the new fishies a few days before I do a water change. Last week though I got some fish on a sunday night (which I rarely do) and did a water change that monday evening. The fish seemed fine so that was a bit of a relief. I try to let the fish settle before I alter the enviroment...
Old 03-31-2006, 11:14 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to crazyred
I voted for water changes not considered because, for me, it depends on the cicumstance. If I've ordered a fish from online, then I know when it's coming and will perform a water change a day or two prior to it's arrival. Sometimes, though, my fish purchases are spontaneous (saw something I couldn't leave without at the LFS) and I can't always correlate that purchase with any particular water change day. It just sort of happens.

Either way, I do try to hold off on the next water change until the newbie has had a chance to settle in a little (2 or 3 days).

55 gal.FW: 4 platies, 3 angelfish, 3 Cochu's blue tetras, 2 Rummynose tetras, 4 A. cacatuoides, 1 A. trifasciata, 2 blue rams, 6 Von Rio tetras, 1 Queen Arabesque pleco

29 Gal. FW: 2 variatus platies, 6 cherry barbs, 10 harlequin rasboras, 1 opaline gourami, 1 hillstream loach, 1 Rio Jari pleco (L-316), 1 GBR

10 Gal. FW: 1 african clawed frog, 1 dwarf flame gourami

10 Gal. FW:tons of blue ram fry

(4) 2 Gal. FW: all four with male bettas
crazyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 01:55 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Water changes should have no bearing on when to add new fish. Stop and consider that in a properly maintained aquarium, you are doing pwcs before anything gets out of hand.

Tags
acclimation

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com