Options on re-homing my Pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scottishscales

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a common Pleco that is too big for the 20 gallon tank I have. I have had this fish for a long time and im very sad to part with him but I know my tank is too small for his 5-ish" size with many other fish.

I live in the seacoast area of New Hampshire and wanted to know some options of finding a new home for him with someone experienced and a nice big tank. I dont want to bring him to the big box store I bought him from years ago, and can't afford to have a tank just for him.

Suggestions?

"There's always a bigger fish." - Qui-Gon Jinn

You can place a "free to a good home" ad on Craigslist or something similar.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I thought about using craigslist but I really dont want to run the risk of getting someone who will just throw em into a tank. Im pretty attached so i would wanna know that it really is a good home

Does your lfs buy fish back? ( assuming you have a lfs the isn't a big box store) Maybe for store credit? That way you get to choose suitable fish to replace it like maybe a bn plec, I had a deal with my lfs that when my bn plec got too big for my 90ltr he'd swap it for a younger 1, I used to make a few $$ out of the deal too depending on how big the 1 I was giving back to him was..

Im pretty sure the only local stores are petsmart and petco. Wouldnt trust them to make sure some kid didnt feed him to a turtle or something

Does your lfs buy fish back? ( assuming you have a lfs the isn't a big box store) Maybe for store credit? That way you get to choose suitable fish to replace it like maybe a bn plec, I had a deal with my lfs that when my bn plec got too big for my 90ltr he'd swap it for a younger 1, I used to make a few $$ out of the deal too depending on how big the 1 I was giving back to him was..

And if that doesn't work, you could just donate it to your LFS. A replacement pleco that would fit your tank, such as a Clown or BN, would cost under $10.

You could always do the Craigslist idea and meat them before you sell you pleco and check what tank they're going to put him in or have them send a pic of the tank with some of their history in taking care of fish

Keep calm and drum on

Back
Top Bottom