Oranda Poop Query

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bengoshi2000

Aquarium Advice Activist
About three weeks ago I picked up two Orandas for my 29g tank. They are the sole inhabitants and are about 4" in length including fins. Water parameters are 0 ammonia / 0 nitrite and 5-10 nitrate. One of them (a bronze named "The Digger" due to his quickly established penchant for digging in the substrate and moving my silk plants around to suit himself) seems to be having some constipation issues. Sometimes his poo looks like empty sausage skins. I've been feeding them a mix of omega one medium sinking pellets (presoaked for a couple of minutes) 10-12 pellets twice daily.

I first noticed The Digger's whitish-clear sausage skin-like poo right after I got them. I did some research and came to the conclusion that he was probably constipated. So I put both of them on a shelled, blanched pea diet for two days (and now every 5th feeding is peas). His poo started looking normal, but today he passed another sausage skin.

The Digger is a VERY active swimmer and he always has "jazz fins." Both fish are very interactive and take notice when someone enters the room. In the early mornings while I'm taking my first coffee of the day, The Digger spits rocks at the glass to get my attention. In other words, he's not acting like he doesn't feel well.

Is he merely constipated? Is there something more serious going on (I.e. internal parasites)? Or am I overreacting and I just need to let him (and his bowels) settle into his new home?

Thank you in advance,
Bengoshi2000

From my OP:

bengoshi2000 said:
I've been feeding them a mix of omega one medium sinking pellets (presoaked for a couple of minutes) 10-12 pellets twice daily.

So I put both of them on a shelled, blanched pea diet for two days (and now every 5th feeding is peas).
Bengoshi2000

I genuinely don't have any experience but from what I've read from other posts you might be feeding too many pellets. I'd wait for better advice though. :)

Sorry, What EXACT type and brand of food are you feeding?

Presoaking is the best way to remove water-soluble vitamins.

I personally would continue feeding peas in addition to their regular food. My guys get veggies every day. If you are concerned about their food floating (thus soaking it), you may want to switch to a sinking pellet to avoid losing any nutritional value.

Well, I did state in the OP that I was feeding them omega one medium sinking pellets...

Only reason why I've soaked them is that I've read in several places that even sinking pellets swell a wee bit and it's better for that to happen before being eaten. Is this incorrect?

Definitely will continue a regular pea regimen.

I'd still like to know if I'm looking at a constipation problem or something more serious.

Is it still white and empty? I would upgrade your food. Omega One is definitely not the worse, but not the best either. A really good sinking pellet won't need soaking, and it is not worth removing all those water-soluble nutrients.

I just want to be clear, the pellets sink just fine. The sole reason I've been soaking is due to the reason set forth above.

Poops alternate btw normal and clear/hollow.

I would continue the peas/veggies-from your description, they seemed to help! I do not believe its something serious (esp if the peas seemed to correct the situation). You may want to consider a higher quality food such as Hikari or NLS-that may make a difference as well!

Back
Top Bottom