Orange Brownish Algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shark_Bait

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have bad brownish orange algae or so i think on the sides of my tank. is it from over feeding? how can i get rid of it? Is it harmful for my fish?

Shark_Bait said:
So I have bad brownish orange algae or so i think on the sides of my tank. is it from over feeding? how can i get rid of it? Is it harmful for my fish?

How long has the tank been set up? If it is within a few months of being established, you're most likely seeing Diatoms. They're common in virtually all new aquariums. Most of us are unfortunately very familiar with them, lol. They tend to take over and will be the bane of your existence turning your beautiful new tank brown for around a month and a half...and then they disappear as quickly as they came. They're very easily removed by lightly swishing your decorations around in tank (not tap!) water, or by brushing them away with your fingers. Otos and Amano shrimp will devour them...but will still have a hard time keeping ahead. Unfortunately, they're just one of those things you have to wait out and consider one of the phases of a new aquarium. They're absolutely harmless to your fish...only offensive to your eyes :)

Wonderful news. My tank is about 6 weeks in with fish so i'm guessing what you are describing is it. Very glad to here that!!! I will purchase some shrimp and see if they can lend me a hand :) Thanks a bunch eco!

Definitely try putting a few Otos in there. We have the same problem with our tank, and about a week with 3 otos, and all the brown algea is darn near gone already

Back
Top Bottom