Orange Coral a no no

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlidlovers

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well I found out that putting a beautiful piece of orange coral in a freshwater tank. All levels are fine as far as water conditions. The orange on the coral started to peal off in large chunks after only 2 days. My mistake for listening to my LFS again..lol. I should have left well enough alone. I had a gorgeous show piece for my game room shelf and now that I put it in the tank it is destroyed litterally fell apart when we took it out. Moral of the story Orange coral is a no no.
8677Coral.jpg

Do you have a name/brand?

Also, when hotlinking images, make sure you link the picture and not to the page the picture is on. Right click the image and choose view image. The link that shows up in the address bar is what you want to use.

In 2005, how hard is it to make a plastic decoration that last more than a few days??? That is pathetic, I would return it to the LFS.

LOL...NO NO It was not plastic my husbands bestfriend is a long liner fisherman, that piece of coral came from about a 1200 ft depth. He gave it to me last year and it sat on my shelf for the longest time. Then my husband and I thought it would look cool in the aquarium, so we did some research and spoke with our LFS and was told to boil it to get the dust off and then put it in. I don't know if boiling it ruined it or if it should have just never went into freshwater. Either way it is a sad day... And thanks about the pic.. :oops: I was having operator difficulty.

I wonder if I could spray the coral with something non toxic and waterproof to keep it intact. Our friend has access to more and it looked really good in the tank, I would love to find a solution.

Probably a good coat of aquarium safe epoxy would have been the thing to do, but who knew? Glad you posted this, since I have some coral I collected years ago washed up on the beach and I have always considered using it in a tank some day - now I know!

when I boiled my driftwood I used a piece of coral I had lying around to hold down the wood in the water. It was in boiling water for about 2 days straight, and other than turning kind of brown from the tannins it was solid.

Back
Top Bottom