Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-23-2005, 01:22 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via MSN to fireemt_rich
Oranges and Goldfish

First off, tank. 5 Gallon Minibow5 (money and space constraints) with 1 fancy goldfish. I purchased him about 3 weeks ago and the lady at the pet store said that I could feed him an orange once a week. A lot of goldfish specific sites say that oranges are ok to give. I finally decided to try it and gave the goldfish a piece of orange about the size of the tip of my pinky finger. I noticed a lot of juice dissipating into the water when I dropped it in. How much will this affect the PH level? I do 50% water changes every friday. There is still a tiny bit of orange that he hasn't ate, it has been about 10 mins, but I still see him nibble it everyonce in a while, should I fish this excess out or just leave it for him to chew on?

Is this good practice to give him some orange every week or so? Are there anything special I need to look out for feeding him "real" food? All of my fish have always had manufactured flakes or pellets.

Thank you!!

Old 08-23-2005, 01:32 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oranges are very good for them. You can put in a slice or even a half of an orange as your goldie gets bigger. You should schedule the orange feedings the same day you are going to change your water though. Also, and you might already know this but maybe not, your goldfish will need a much bigger tank than 5 gallons. In my opinion, 20 gallons is the smallest you should put a single goldfish in. Fancy goldfish get to be anywhere between 8-12 inches if properly taken care of. HTH!

Old 08-23-2005, 01:51 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via MSN to fireemt_rich
Thanks for the reply. I am aware that 5 gallons is small. I was introduced to this fact after I had purchased him. And of course, the petstore (a major chain to remain unnamed) said oh, yes, that is perfect, 1 gallon to each fish... hehehe, I knew better than that one. I do plan on upgrading, hopefully pretty soon to a 28 or higher gallons from a local pet store and using this tank as a betta tank. Fortunatly he is still under 2 inches.. Again, thank you for your time and response!
Old 08-23-2005, 01:54 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeh, fish stores are stupid like that I'm glad you are kind enough to be willing to buy a much larger than for him. A lot of people just don't care. Once you have the 28 or more, you could get him a friend. I've heard they enjoy the company of others even though they seem okay on their own. Congrats on your new fish!
Old 08-23-2005, 03:44 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to Psybuster
i feed my koi watermelons, so i'm sure you can feed your goldfish that too, zuchinis are good too
Fish : Angels | Corycats | Rainbow Shark | Harlequin Rasbora | Red Tailed Shark
--
Much Thanks to Travis for the donated plants
Psybuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 11:34 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I feed orange rings every week to my goldies. They love the stuff. I've never noticed a change in water params with it and I typically leave the ring in for 8-12 hours, sometimes longer if it lasts.
Rena Filstar XP2
Pressurized CO2 w/SMS122

29 Gallon Goldfish
4" Red/White Ryunkin
4" Orange Fantail
Penguin 100
AquaClear 20
FMJnaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 11:43 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Puriti Send a message via MSN to Puriti Send a message via Yahoo to Puriti
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubysoho
Fancy goldfish get to be anywhere between 8-12 inches if properly taken care of. HTH!
O.o mine never got that big...but then again i could never keep them that long and I didn't have a big tank... not to steal you post ^^;

Tags
goldfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com