Order of fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've decided on a lot of the fish for my 55gal. I'll be purchasing them all small (tetras tiny of course, rest of fish about 2"):

A school of 15 rummynose tetras
2 clown loach (may remove if get too big)
3 rainbow sharks
2 ghost catfish
1 x suckermouth bottom feeder that glides on the bottom and eats algae, with whiskers! Any suggestions?? - A pleco perhaps?
1 x algae eater for glass - again any suggestions?
Maybe another couple of fish at a later date.

Do you guys agree with the numbers? ie. is it ok to keep 3 rainbow sharks together etc., and as far as I've read the compatibility between all the fish should be ok?

What order do you think I should introduce the fish in? I was thinking maybe the school of tetras first...

There is no not scavenger type of catfish with whiskers. Those with whiskers will probably eat at least your rummy noses if they get a chance to and will probably even get to large for your 55.
I would try to get a few Pitbull plecos (hard to find), they look closest to regular catfish IMO.

Otherwise you have Otocinclus which eat algae and are very active. I just don't know if they'll get along with your rainbowsharks.

I think I'm going to get 2 plecos - but a lot of them are really ugly! One that doesn't grow too big in any case.

Any maybe add in 2 Dwarf gourami - neon blue and/or red?

Any tips on order of putting em into the tank?

But be careful not all bristlenose plecos eat algae!

And I would add the gouramis at the very last, since they might be the most territorial! IMO it would be even better just to go with one dwarf gourami, but the opinions are different. Just be prepared that you might have to bring one back.

Thanks...if I go for 2 gourami, would it be a bad idea to get one neon blue and one red?

So this (I think!) is my final fish list, in order (couple of weeks in between):-

A school of 15 rummynose tetras
2 clown loach
3 rainbow sharks
2 ghost catfish
2 x plecos
2 x gourami (neon blue dwarf and/or red dwarf)

Do I have to choose any particular sexes when getting the fish (other than the tetras of course)?

Colors of dwarf gouramis will not matter, they are all the same species. I would not add the rummys first they can be delicate. I would add the sharks first. Just my opinion.

So if I put the sharks in first, then the loaches, then the tetras?

can you give the scientific name of the ghost cat? If it is Kryptopterus Bicirrhis then I think you will be okay, although they prefer to be with other tranquil fish (at least from I have read about them).

Rainbows can be aggressive to their own kind/other fish who look similar to them, and I am not sure if a 55 gallon will give enough territorial room for them to be completely happy, but it also depends on the individual's personality.

Also, are you planning on upgrading your tank? Clown loaches are beautiful but they will eventually need a larger tank. However, they grow slowly so you won't need to worry about that right away. Besides, what fish keeper doesn't eventually get a bigger tank? :D

Here is how I would add the fish:

Rainbow Sharks
Gouramis
Loaches
Half of the rummies
1st pleco
Other half of the rummies
2nd pleco
ghost cats

The tetras and ghost cats are the most sensative so I would make sure your water perams are perfect and have been perfect/stable for a least two weeks before adding them.

I don't know the scientific name of the ghost cat, will find out!

Thanks for your help - am I adding half of the tetras at a time for bacteria reasons?

I've heard freshwater "sharks" (except balas) get very aggressive with each other when older and should only be kept 1 per tank.
Clown loaches like to school (6+ is best) and get very large.
By "ghost catfish" if you mean glass catfish they also like to school.
Also, are you doing a fishless cycle?

Just been reading up on the sharks actually, and you're right - 1 per tank.

Yep I'm doing a fishless cycle!

Just revised my fish list, sorry guys :p

All fish will be bought at about 2" (except the tetras of course):-

1 x rainbow shark
3 x clown loach (to be taken out if they get too big, if I haven't upgraded tanks by then)
1 x school 10 rummynose tetras
1 x school 5 neon tetras
1 x pleco (L134)
2 x swordtails
[2 x other fish that swim mid - high in the tank, to be added at a later date]

Would I be able to buy the shark bigger, say 4", with him being the only one?

Order look ok?

I'll be hoping to breed the swordtails, so I'll get a M and a F.

But for the 3 clown loaches, what sexes should I get, if they can be determined at 2"? I was thinking MFF?

Get more than one female swordtail. The male will wear out a single female. As far as I know you can not sex loaches.

Back
Top Bottom