Ordered some fish online today...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Biggen

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I went ahead and ordered some Siamese Algae Eaters online today from http://www.aquariumfish.net/ . I couldn't find them locally. My LFS only carries the chinese ones!! They will be going in my tank I have set up in the retail store. The plants in that tank have really taken off. I guess that 1.6 wpg is actually going to work. Who would have thought. I'll let everyone know how my experience goes with the order.

I decided to go ahead and get the SAE since algae is beginning to pop up. It is long stringy green algae. Some of the strands are in excess of 6" or so. I am thinking it is because of a high level on iron in the aquarium. Before I knew any better, I dumped in some fertilizer the first day I put the plants in. Learn from my mistake. Plants take up to at least a week to "settle down". The only thing that will be using all that iron in the water column will be the algae.

So, anyway, the SAE should make short order of that stuff. I also noticed yesterday that I have a few pond snails in the tank. I'll let them multiply a little and then throw in 3 clown loaches to keep them in check. I wouldn't mind keeping them but I want to make sure they are kept in check.

Anyway, just thought I would give a quick update to what I have been up to over these past two months to anyone who cares.. My other tank at home has cycled and has now 4 dwarf gouramis added to it. Might add a few more fish to it this weekend.

I would not get 3 clown loaches as they get very big. I would let the snails multiply and then maybe consider getting 2. Three might be a little excessive.

I would not get 3 clown loaches as they get very big

I actually considered this. However, from what I have read, they appear to grow extremely slowly (i.e. 5-6 years down the road they may get up to 8-12" in size). I figured I could then sell them back to a LFS or find someone with a larger tank that could take then if they do get this big.

The only reason I thought of three is it seems that 3 or more is recommended for them since they are schooling fish. You think 2 would be happy, d9hP?

[UPDATE]

Well I got my SAE's in. Arrived via Airborne Express. They were double bagged placed inside of a styrofoam box inside of another cardboard box. The water they were in was actually a light blue colored. Really weird. Almost looks like it had been dyed a little. Perhaps it is some kind of pre-treatment for something the water receives back at their holding tanks. Dunno....

First thing I noticed when I looked at them through the bag was that the fish were white! There was no black stripe running down their sides like all SAE should have. I had assumed they had shipped me the wrong fish at first. Then as I put the bag into the tank to float it, something really cool happened. All of a sudden their stripe appeared and the whole fish turned a more greyish color. Really cool. I had no idea that SAE could change their colors like that. The only thing I can attribute it to was being stressed out from the trip over and when they realized they were about to go for a "swim" it calmed them down a bit. After they were put in the tank the stripe appeared and have been fine since.

I will definitely be ordering from this company again. Their shipping is a little steep (~$25) but it appears to be worth it. Especially since I couldn't get SAE locally.

Just thought I would pass this along to anyone looking to order fish online. So far I am happy. The next test will be the next few days to see if the fish live or not.

SAEs actually change colors in stressful situations, I assume the introduction of light after being shipped in the dark caused it. No cause for concern.

shoot...$25 for next day shipping...and for fish...that's not too bad.

But then again, I don't know what usually is charged. Do you have any pics of them in their new home yet?

-j

Do you have any pics of them in their new home yet?

I forgot to bring the darn camera with me to work. I'll take it tomorrow and post some pics of the setup.

Back
Top Bottom