Ordering Fish online

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slickwill

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am thinking about ordering fish online. I was wondering if anyone out there has ordered fish online and knows of a good site? Thanks for the replies.

Hi slick. What you have to realize is that unless you're ordering a lot of fish, the freight can cost more than the fish. I have done it only when I couldn't find the fish I wanted locally. The fish arrived in excellent condition via next day air. But I paid $30.00 for the fish, and $45 for the air freight.

I ordered fish through my LFS, 14 Malawi cichlids and it worked out great. I got the 'in the bag' price. They had it come with their regular order and I got a total price better than I would have got ordering. If you have a LFS that you like, it might work out for you.

I was really tripped out when I pulled the bags out of the box and the water was bright, tidy-bowl man blue! 8O The told me later lots of shipped fish come that way, it is some tranquilizer, water conditioner stuff.

This page has lots of reviews of places to buy fish online, mostly related to cichlids though, so it might not be what you are looking for.

My LFS put an oxygen tab in my bag the other day and it turned the water blue. I got home about 40 minutes later and acclimated the fish via floating/adding water to the bag. Then I used a net to release the fish into the tank. Has been doing fine.

I'm wondering if that tab is only for 'oxygenating' the water. :|
Really freaked me out because when I saw him put the bag in a paper sack before leaving the store.. it was crystal clear water. :roll:

I'd check into the lfs ordering what you want.. I bet it would be cheaper than online freight charges to your house.

I about did have a heart attack when I saw the blue water! Searched on the internet and found out enough to keep me from panicking too much, although I did cut acclimation time way down.

I actually work at chain pet store and ordering through them was one of the ideas that I had. But it takes about 2 weeks for an order to come in and I did not want to wait that long. But at least I would get a discount. 8) And the blue water is normal and weird.

Well slick, 2 weeks isn't so terribly long. Especially knowing you're getting a discount. Some things are worth waiting for and patience is an attribute in this hobby :wink: .

Liveaquaria.com is a good online place to buy livestock.. Shipping is rather Reasonable for FW fish.. I am a SW person and must say that they are a good company.. TO ship my SW fish out overnight its 24.99 for shipping with no other hidden charges.. They stand behind their word and most all species have a 10day warranty for SW.. I am not sure about FW but I would guess its the same if not better.. Check them out..

James

Back
Top Bottom