Oscar compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcgolg76

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Haven't added anything to my 75 community in awhile. Thinking of converting it for an oscar. I know I have to rehome my smaller fish. Wondering if i could keep my peacock eel, brown knife fish and bristlenose pleco. Got plenty of drift wood for hiding. Only see my eel like once a month. Usually buried in the sand. If I get the oscar as a baby will this work.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Haven't added anything to my 75 community in awhile. Thinking of converting it for an oscar. I know I have to rehome my smaller fish. Wondering if i could keep my peacock eel, brown knife fish and bristlenose pleco. Got plenty of drift wood for hiding. Only see my eel like once a month. Usually buried in the sand. If I get the oscar as a baby will this work.

Bristle nose will probably be gone once it gets bigger. Like how my oscar ate mine.... And that's pretty
Overstocked for a 75

Was your bristlenose full grown? Will an oscar only eat fish it can swallow hole or will it kill some thing and then chew it up ?

Was your bristlenose full grown? Will an oscar only eat fish it can swallow hole or will it kill some thing and then chew it up ?

To be honest he will do both. I had a 5 inch common with my 2 8-10 inch oscar. 1 of them swallowed the pleco and got stuck in his mouth!!!!! The other one ended up helping him getting it out

What about just the oscar and knife fish

A black knife fish would be OK.... But nothing else. Make sure u have a lot of filtration

Black knife fish need 125g+ aquariums :)

As for the brown knife fish, I highly doubt that he would last with an oscar. They are timid feeders at best and an oscar is the polar opposite. Oscars just wouldn't let one feed properly and I would say the same thing goes with the eel.

This brown knife is not a timid feeder. Trained to eat flakes. Also can be hand fed with a syringe.

Found somebody who wants the eel if i go this route. Would only do the brown knife and oscar. Know will have enough room. Concern is will the oscar eat it. Def way to big to fit in a full grime oscars mouth

Filtration is an aquaclear 110 and an eheim 2215.

Ok been rehoming and moving fish between tanks. Decided to keep the African knife fish. Also going to get a catfish. Perhaps an feather fin syndo. Would this be overstocked? Any other catfish that woould work

Back
Top Bottom