Oscar Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarah5775

Aquarium Advice Freak
What is the minimum tank size for a single oscar (no other fish)

Absolute minimum would be a 55g; a 75g would be preferable. Keep in mind that a fully-grown oscar can reach 14 inches in length; a 55g is only 12 inches deep.

oscar

If I may add another oscar question to your post ....... how quickly do they grow? And yes, I admit I have considered starting 2 or 3 in smaller quarters than they need when full grown, and upsize when needed. If it would be a while. And I am talking 3 inchers, to start.

They can reach just under 1ft at 1 yr old depending on tank, conditions and feeding.
To give an example, my pure bronze was 10" @ 11 mnths old :)
now 15 mnths old and just over a 1' long

if ur not looking to breeding then only get what u can fit . The are very big all around so the inch per gallon rule doesnt at all apply.
Depending on the size of tank u have. If u plan on breeding u should get as many as possible to insure That u get at least one pair and give away/sell the rest.
And as for growing? What size of tank do u plan on putting them? hopefully at least a 55g.
and upgrading to at least 120 with in a few months .
Those are my recommendations.
ive read alot on these fish. so if u need any help we are here. :)

A 55 would be 'ok', but like voodoo said, it's only 12 in wide. my roommate's oscar is about 14in, he would hit nose and tail in the 55, until he got a 75.

I think a 75 is sufficent. My brother has a Tiger Oscar in a 55 right now and it really t's me off because he doesn't have enough room to swim.

I dont think a 125 is needed unless you want more than 1. Always nice though

Back
Top Bottom