Oscar's acting weird???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

j_randall1702

Aquarium Advice Regular
The new oscar I obtained the other day is being bullied on by my other oscar. When I first put them in the tank they were attached at the hip so to speak. Never more than a fin reach away. This has been going on for the past 2 days. Now my other oscar puts his mouth sometimes even bites the newer one. He has also been eating more vigorously. Now jumping completely out of the water when I go to feed him, and he has hit his head pretty hard several times today on my glass top. He now has a mark on his head. It might be because my tank might be overstocked right now. It has in it now a 4in Tiger oscar, 3 1/2in Albino Tiger oscar, 3 in Jack Dempsey, two 1 1/2 in clown loaches, 4in pictus cat, and a 3 in pleco. This is not the permant homes, but will have to do for a couple of weeks. Could it be that my tank might be overstocked, all the perms are at the corret levels. I do a 30% pwc twice a week.

I'M thinking maybe u got 2 males?
I just added another oscar as well, a 3" blood red albino in with my 10" and 8" tigers..
best mates from the minute they met...i've never seen anything like it

I always say that trying to think like a fish gives me a headache.

Many times simply adding one more fish puts pressure on an otherwise peaceful tank. This is especially true with aggressive territorial fish such as cichlids.

OK, something is wrong here!!!!! My fish is lieing on the bottom, wont even move when I reach in the tank to touch it!!!!! He is breathing really fast. Checked water perms, and everything is good, except ammonia which was at .25, so I did a water change!!! That was this morning, I really grew attached to the little guy and any way he might of hurt himself internally, because of all the smashing around that I stated above?

Could be...he may have something internally, possibly neurologically wrong.

And yes, based on eventual adult sizes, your 75 is quite overstocked.

The rest of the fish are fine, still begging for food and energetic.....He has passed though. I know as of adult sizes my tank is overstocked, but this was temporay. When I get my other tank I will replace him.

Well the new oscar that I rescued, has a new home. He was traded to a guy from a local club in this area. He got my albino, and he traded me 2 Tiger Oscars, both 2 1/2in long. So right now there is a total of 20 inches of fish in my tank. When adults my tank will be overstocked, but with a 200 gal on the way in the next 2 weeks. My tanks will be looking bare very soon. I will probably keep all the fish in my 75 gal in the 200 gal.

Back
Top Bottom