Otocinclus and Betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vatilla

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi there! I have a 10g aquarium with what I believe (can't remember the exact name) is an Internal 10i Whisper filter or something and a Topfin heater. I've had it since mid-June and I have my male Betta Pigg in there all to his lonesome. I had added a few Glow Light Tetras to the tank, and... Well, Pigg didn't like them too much. Most of them died from not eating, they would just hide in the corner and not move, and Pigg killed one. But I believe it's because they were so small... I'm a practical person, I knew the chances of survival with the Tetras and him were low, but I wanted to try it out anyways. Pigg is very happy and healthy, but no matter what I do his tank always seems filled with algae. I heard from a friend that Otocinclus may help the problem and that they got along great with her Betta. I just want some opinions on here first, and possibly any algae-ridding remedies that would work before I take on more fish. Please reply

:fish2:

I would use Amano shrimp rather than otocinclus. I don't think the betta would eat the shrimp.

I would use Amano shrimp rather than otocinclus. I don't think the betta would eat the shrimp.

Thank you for the advice, but I'm not wanting to get any shrimp, as none of the pet stores near me sell them...

This is my experience with bettas and ottos. I had success with a female betta with 2 ottos in a five gallon bow front. It's a different situation than your in, but I'm just giving my input. Good luck.

It all depends on the Betta. Some are mellow and some aggressive. Yours sounds aggressive. It would be a gamble. You'd be better off trying nerite snails as stated above. They don't have long antenna which is what some betta's go after on larger snails like mystery snails.

Back
Top Bottom