Otocinclus barbed scales?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RobbyDoom

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've had 4 otocinclus' for about 6 months now, in my planted aquarium. They tend to hide during the day among the plants, so I seldom see them. Today I pulled up a chair to watch my aquarium exist and I saw a couple looking for food under the hydrocotyle carpet. Until now I also haven't really looked at them closely when I do see them. I noticed that their scale were sticking out. I was of course a bit put off, because I've seen past goldfish with bloat. Upon a closer look I realized it looked more like barbed/hooked/spiky scales.
I wasn't entirely sure if this is normal. I found several close up photos and 3 macro photos depicting the same. Now, it seems kosher to me. Does anyone else have any input as to whether or not I'm correct in thinking this is normal?
Otocinclus%202.jpg

Darn, would have been a sure winner for a photo of the month contest. Sorry I can't help on the question at hand, but I'm sure someone who can will be along shortly.

Back
Top Bottom